Chapter 17 - Flyboy

Chapter 17

We rush down to the command centre after catching up with Finn, finding my mother amongst the frantic crowd of staff and volunteers.

"General Organa," Poe pulls my Mother out of her conversation. "Sorry to interrupt, this is Finn, he needs to talk to you,"

She looks at Finn and takes his hand in hers gently. "And I need to talk with him. That was incredibly brave, what you did. Renouncing the First Order, saving this man's life-"

"Thank you, Ma'am," he stops her respectively, seemingly shocked as to how she knows all this. He'll come to learn that my mother knows everything. "But my friend was taken prisoner-"

"Han told me about the girl, I'm sorry," she cuts in with a sincere look covering her face. Poe steps forward and for the first time since we reunited, I notice the bright red gash covering his cheek.

"Finn's familiar with the weapon that destroyed the Hosnian system, he worked on the base," he tells her and I feel his hand fall onto the curve of my back as I stand arms crossed in between the two men.

"We're desperate for anything you can tell us," she turns back to him.

"That's where our friend was taken, I've got to get there. Fast," Finn looks at me momentarily before turning back to Mom.

"And i will do everything we can to help, but first you need to tell us all you know," she takes his arm and leads him towards her office. Not too far off in the med bay, I can faintly hear Chewbacca exclaiming about how brave he was on the mission and how he saved my life.

I sigh as I look at Poe's face again, cupping his cheek in my hand and stroking over the cut that is bound to scar with my thumb. He leans into the palm of my hand and presses a gentle kiss to it. "I'm sorry, Kibo. I'm so sorry,"

His face contorts painfully and even without looking into his mind I can feel the immense guilt wavering off of him. "Why?"

"I was weak and now he knows about you," he can't even look me in the eyes and that might be what hurts most.

"Hey, no. You are not weak. You are one of the strongest people I know and I already know that he knows," I place my other hand on his cheek and raise his view towards me. "You are Poe kriffing Dameron, poster boy of the Resistance. If you're weak then the rest of us are nothing,"

"I just feel like I've failed you," I shake my head with scrunched brows.

"You could never fail me. This isn't your fault, ok? If it was my mother would have done something about it by now," he nods and pulls me into an embrace as I hold him close by the back of his neck.

"What did you mean by you already know?" He says after a moment, muffled into my hair.

"I saw him in Takodana and I'm almost positive he saw me too," he nods, neither of us ready to properly talk about that just yet - especially not in such an open space.

Parting softly, I take his hand and he strokes over my knuckles as he does so often in stressful times. We walk together over to where the projection of the map is, catching the last bit of 3PO's explanation of how "We simply do not have enough information to find master Luke,"

"I can't believe I was so foolish to think I could just find Luke and bring him home," Mom's face drops as I reach her side, placing my free hand on her shoulder supportingly.

"We all did, Mom," she nods but doesn't look in my direction.

"Leia," Dad sighs, taking a step in her direction as her attention snaps up to him.