Chapter 16 - One Hell Of A Pilot

Chapter 16

Gathering into the cockpit, Rey takes the co-pilot seat as my Dad pulls the gear out of lightspeed. Her eyes go glossy and she gasps at the sight of the mountains and trees. I keep forgetting that all she has ever known is sand and beige.

"I didn't know there was this much green in the whole galaxy," she states shakily. I place my hand on her shoulder comfortingly, feeling touched by her new experiences.

We get nearer to Maz's castle, the same as it always has been. A smile tugs on my lips as we land, taking a moment to bask in the beautiful sight before me. Rey however, takes no time to run out of the ship - I follow her to make sure she's ok.

When I reach her, she is standing by the edge of the lake and looking out across to the mountains the golden sun of Takodana perches behind. "It's beautiful, isn't it?" I stand next to her, BB-8 next to me.

"It's unlike anything I've ever seen before," she keeps her eyes on the environment of stunning green trees and brown, fresh soil. "It's almost unbelievable,"

"Well, believe it," I nudge her and she looks at me, a wide smile covering her face. "It won't be as beautiful once we get inside,"

"I wanted to thank you," she says, turning to me.

"What for? If anything, I should be the one thanking you," I scoff with a smirk.

"For being my first friend," her words hit me like a ton of bricks. The pit returns to my throat as I wrap my arms around her tightly.

"It's an honour, Rey," I tell her shakily, not wanting anymore tears to slip out of my eyes. "Truly,"

"Wrap it up you two!" My father emerges from his ship and comes to Reys side, pulling out a blaster and handing it to her. "You might need this,"

"I think I can handle myself," she states matter-of-factly.

"I know you do, that's why I'm giving it to you. Take it," she does. He moves to me, holding something else behind his back. "And you might need this," He pulls out the last thing I thought he would. My lightsaber.

"What?" I exclaim. "Where the hell has this been?"

"Your mother might have hidden it in the Falcon when you had been training too hard one night," He pushes the hilt further towards me. "Just so happened to be the same night she was stolen from me,"

"Seriously? I have been looking for this thing for years and she always told me that I had misplaced it somewhere in the woods and an animal must have taken it!" Slowly, I wrap my hands around the hilt and stretch my fingers to the now only faintly familiar metal.

"Sounds like your mom," He laughs. "Go ahead, give it a swing,"

I look from him to Rey and then to Finn, both of which are wide-eyed and in shock at the metal in my hand. Spinning the hilt in my hand, I get the hang of it before turning it on. The gentle swoosh of the blade comes out golden yellow - like the sun on this here planet.

Luke told me when we collected our kyber crystals that the golden colour represented compassion, diplomacy, extreme skill and full dedication to the lightside. Ben's was blue. I remember being so proud of myself for getting this colour - I still am.

I step back from the group and start to swing around the humming blade of heat. "Still got it,"

Putting the blade away and placing the hilt on my side, I go back to the small group. Dad talking to Rey about something she seems ecstatic about but he seems secretive.

"Well?" He says to her as Chewie comes out of the ship, bandage on arm.

"If you were, i'd be flattered. But I have to get home," she responds sincerely.