Chapter 7

The rest of the week was spent with students preparing for homecoming. The soccer team was training hard, the cheerleaders were practicing the choreography and the rest of the students were showing school spirit by wearing the school jerseys, which were black with a grey coyote and making banners for the match.
Some of the school alumni and almunae also came back for homecoming. Some to help coach the soccer team and others to assist with the cheerleaders, like Olivia.

It was match day and the game was starting at 7 pm. Emma and Liam were on their way to the school stadium and were driving in Liam's car.
"I don't see the point of going to homecoming without you." He said, his eyes fixed on the road.

"I don't want you to miss out on something like this because of me. You have to enjoy your last year of high school." Emma insisted. She was staring out the window, counting the street lights.

Liam was quiet for a moment.
"Fine, only because we have the rest of our lives to live together. Just imagine this time next year, we will be far from here. From high school sweethearts to university sweethearts." He said, the excitement evident in his tone.
He reached for Emma's hand and kissed it.

She gave him a small smile. She felt awful about not telling Liam that she had no plans to leave Summerville. They had such different dreams at the moment and it was unsettling that only one of them was aware of the issue.
Maybe Emma was being selfish for not speaking up and coming up with a solution while it was still early.
She did not want to lose Liam because he was dead-set on leaving Summerville and he did not play around when it came to his future. Chances of him changing his plans for Emma were unlikely, especially since he was under the impression that they both wanted this.

The couple got to the school and exited the car. They both had their black and grey school jerseys on with the coyote symbol embroidered on it.
The bleachers were quite packed with students from Summerville High and the opposing school West River High.
Emma and Liam made their way to Olivia who was waiting for them in the bleachers.

Emma's eyebrows rose up in surprise when she saw Jay sitting next to Olivia.
They all exchanged hellos and waited for the match to begin.

"I think I need a snack." Olivia said.

"Yeah same." Liam agreed.

"We will be right back, we are going to grab something to eat." Olivia stated. She and Liam stood up and walked off.

Jay scooted closer to Emma.
"So De Luca, I took this photo of the field and I don't know what to caption it. Match night or Go Coyotes?"
He asked showing Emma his phone screen.

She chuckled. "Seriously?"

Jay nudged her playfully. "Come on."

"Fine." Emma said rolling her eyes. "If it was me, I would use both. Match night, hashtag go coyotes."

Jay smiled. "I knew you were the right person to ask."

Jay was quiet for a while and Emma focused her attention back on the field. Nothing was happening yet. The players were probably still getting ready.

"Smile." Emma heard Jay say. She looked at him and he had his phone camera facing her.
She smiled and the phone made a click sound.

Jay looked at the phone. He was quiet for a short moment.
"Wow." He said with a warm smile while still just staring at the phone.

"What?" Emma asked. She was blushing slightly.

Jay looked up from his phone and to her. "Nothing." The warm smile still on his lips.
For a few seconds, his blue eyes were staring deep at Emma. He eventually snapped out of his trance and looked back at his phone.