16

Emma was currently driving to the cabin that Ray used to hide in. He confessed that he was keeping Jay there.
Ray's "friends" had instructions to wait there and if he did not show up by morning, they would leave with Jay and no one would ever see him again.

"Here is what I don't get." Ray started. He was seated in the back seat.

Both Emma and Connor groaned out of annoyance.

"So obviously Jay's love for Emma made him agree to working with the guy who set him up right? But what was your reward Connor? If I got caught, I would throw you under the bus immediately." Ray stated.

Emma kept her eyes focused on the road. She was trying hard to drown Ray out.

"My reward was seeing you rot in prison you filthy piece of shit!" Connor spat.

Ray laughed.
"You would go down with me bud. Imagine us being cellmates in prison. That would be fun right?"

No one said anything.

"Of course I would finish you off the second we got there. But that would be for your own good sake. A pretty boy like you would never survive in prison." Ray said.

"That's enough Ray!" Emma snapped . "This 40 minute drive is already hell with you. Can you at least give us some peace by keeping your trap shut until we are rid of you?"

"No." Ray said. "Speaking of getting rid of things, how's Liam? He looked great at the ball."

"Don't! Just don't." Emma warned.

"You should really ask him about how is going to pay for that wrecked car." Ray said. Emma could see him smirking in the rear view mirror.

She ignored Ray and silently prayed for the night to be over. So much happened and she was not sure how to process any of it. She wanted to shut down and not feel anything.
She finally got to the cabin and saw two cars parked there. She parked hers a few feet from the others and left the car on. She needed the headlights for light.

"We are here. Tell them to bring Jay out." Emma ordered.

Ray rolled his eyes and typed away on his phone.

Emma looked at Connor and noticed he looked uneasy.
"You okay?"

He shook his head. "Not really. Last time I was here, I got stabbed and nearly died."

"Oh get over yourself dude. If I wanted to kill you, you would be dead." Ray said and opened the car door.
Jay walked out of the cabin but he was accompanied by three guys. Two of them were holding him by his arms while the other followed behind. All the guys were dressed in suits. They were definitely at the ball.

Emma and Connor both got out of the car.

"Jay? Are you okay?" Emma asked with deep worry.
Jay nodded.

"Let him go." Ray told the guys and they obliged.

Jay walked off as fast as he could and ran into Emma's arms. The two hugged each other as tight as they could.

"Let's get out of here." Connor said.
Emma agreed and broke the hug with Jay. She wanted to leave as soon as possible.

"Emma!" Ray called out. "I hope you learned that if you keep pushing, I will push back harder. A lot of the people you love are easy targets for me and you cannot protect them all. You know what you have to do for all of this to be over. Fill in the blanks and you will have your life back."

Emma didn't say anything. She, Jay and Connor got into the car and drove off.

*

Emma, Jay and Connor were back at the ball but instead of going inside the hall, they stood outside in the parking lot.
Jay was on the phone with his dad explaining that what happened was a false alarm. Ray was never there.