Chapter 8: Mystery

⋘Jaiden's POV⋙

As I searched through my locker, there was only one thing that crossed my mind. Was it him? Did he take it?

I knew this was a poor sense of judgment, but could it be? I was sure that I closed my locker and took the key.

But the journal was gone.

Who could've taken it? All my life, the only thing stolen from me repeatedly was the journal, and usually, it was Zeke who took it.

I guess I should ask him first.

***

Cole's POV⋙

As soon as I got to school, I rushed inside to see if Jaiden was there, and saw her going through her locker with a confused expression on her face.

She looked up at me as soon as I came near her, and asked, "Hey, have you seen Zeke? I need to ask him something..."

"Yeah, wait, no, I haven't seen him. But I need to tell you something." He could tell she was avoiding his eyes.

"What?" She looked at me then returned to what she was doing, "Was it you?" She said quietly.

"Was what me?" I scratched my head. "Did I do something?" I wondered if I did, and if I might've just forgot.

"Nah, it couldn't have been you, you're too sweet to do something like that." She pinched my cheek, which hurt.

"Wait, what are you talking about? What happened?" I cupped her chin and made her look at me, and lowered my voice. "What happened?"

"Nothing, it's not important. Really!" She said at my confused expression. She pulled her head out of my hand and looked at the floor.

"What. Happened." I asked, as firmly as I could without scaring her.

"Smun stl m jungl" Is what I heard her say.

"What?"

She looked up at me and said, "Someone. Stole. My. Journal."

"WHAT!?" This time I was mad. Really mad. "Who stole it?" I realized my mistake. "Nevermind. But I will help you figure out who did this, and when I get my hands on them..."

I was already picturing it in my brain when she yelled, "NO! You won't hurt anybody, okay? We will find out who did it and ask for it back, alright? I don't know why you're giving it this much thought. It's just a journal."

"Okay, fine. Have it your way." I put on a fake pouty face, turned around, and she laughed. Did I mention that she has the most beautiful laugh in the world?

***

Joshua's POV⋙

When I read her name on the inside of the cover, I felt ready to punch something.

I knew it was silly, getting mad about a little journal that he took, but I couldn't help it. This was invading on her privacy, and I wasn't about to let that happen.

When he saw my eyes widen, and tried to snatch back the book, I spun around and raced into the school. As I went, I heard Victor say, "I never, I repeat never, have seen someone as willing to go to school as him." And Jake replied in a sing-song voice, "Someone has a fli-ing, someone has a fli-ing."

I was about to turn around and punch him, but I decided that having the repercussions of that whiny-baby. So I kept running.

***

Jaidens POV⋙

Who would have done it? Who could have taken it?

These thoughts were racing through my brain as Cole and I walked to lunch. Along with, in a sing song type of voice:

Invasion of privacy!

When we got to the lunch room, and I sat down at a table, I saw a boss-faced Joshua waltz into the room.

Hmmm... No end to the mystery... He looked at me, and I forced my eyes off of him. But it was too late, because he was already walking toward us. No, nonononono, don't come over, please...