Chapter 5: Who Was That Girl?

Josh's POV⋙

As I drove home, the only thing I could think about was the new girl. She seemed so nice to everyone, but once I came to sit down with her, she pushed me away.

I hoped she could see through the rumors to the real me, the one everyone hated after Celia dumped me. She was the most popular girl in school, and took that to her advantage. She spread the talk to all of her fans, who spread it to their friends, who spread it to theirs, and so on. 

None of it was true though, all a hoax, and Celia played along with it as if it were the truth. If I saw who she really was, then I would have gotten away from her before any of this happened. I guess that wasn't how the world worked though, and for me, it always shows me things that remind me of my problems.

I thought back to the girl. Who was she? She was a bit out of it when I went to sit with her. Maybe I should have toned it down on the 'nerd' part, but she would always walk around with books, and she loved math class. Nobody liked math class!

She walked off so fast I wondered if she was even human. And she was only walking, not running.

If there was anyone that I was going to get on my side, it was her. Don't know why, don't know when or where, but I was.

***

Jaiden's POV⋙

It was weird that my best friend wrote me a note all those years ago, and showed up the same day that I read it. I don't think he noticed, but my gaze was sliding back to him the whole time he was there.

He changed a lot, and it was too much to take in. The way his eyes would glimmer when they hit the light, his soft laugh, and the lopsided grin he would give me, it took all of my force to take my gaze off him.

While we walked toward his house, I couldn't help but look up at him again. His face was pointed at the road, but they had something in them I hadn't seen in a long time.

Happiness.

After all, I didn't have the courage to ask him about the note. He probably forgot all about it, it being 7 years after he wrote it. But what if he didn't? What if it has been on his mind the whole time, like it has been on mine?

Nah.

He looked over at me, and I realized I had been looking at him the whole time, so I looked away, blushing.

"We're here! I want to tell you my family got changed up a bit, just so you don't get surprised."

And I totally forgot about the surprise thing, too.

"Changed up? How?"

"My father is in Japan, serving in the military, and my mom works at a hospital to keep the money up. And my brother is in college, so it's usually just me at home. But since... uhh... that happened today, my family, other than dad, got the day off, since we are all good friends."

"Oh." That was all that I could say.

He looked at me. "How have you been doing? I mean, after all of this, probably not good, but maybe you are. You know what, don't answer the question. I didn't mean to make you mad, or even sad for that matter. Please do-"

I cut him off by putting a hand on his shoulder.

And I laughed.

***

Cole's POV⋙

As we walked through the door to my house, I snuck a look at Jaiden. Her blonde hair was in a long ponytail. Her blue eyes shone with joy. I couldn't believe she was laughing after what she went through.

She was a gift from God.

"You know I love it when you ramble on like that, right? But, anyway, I believe the Lord will help me through this. Isaiah 43:1 Don't fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are Mine. God actually commands us not to fear, or worry. The phrase "fear not" is used at least 80 times in the Bible, most likely because He knows the enemy uses fear to decrease our hope and limit our victories." She said.

"Woah, how did you do that?" I was flabbergasted.

"Do what?"

"Quote it like you've read it every day, all your life?"

"Not all my life, but I have read it a lot. It's one of the daily scriptures that we used for children's church one year, and I've kept the paper on my wall for all these years."

"That's... pretty cool, actually."

"Yeah, I guess."

We walked into a crowded living room, filled with my parents, brother, and Mrs. Diaz, her brothers, and toddler of a sister.

"Oh, hey guys! I was wondering when you were going to get here." My mom said, walking over to us.

She hugged Jaiden, while saying, "I hope you're doing okay."

"I'm doing fine," Laughter filled her voice, "Really." She said to Mrs. Diaz's worried expression.

"Aww, who's this little one?" I asked, tickling the toddler. She wasn't the type to shy away, which promised great things in her future. I think.

"Her name is Sophia," Mrs. Diaz said.

"Sophia Diaz. That has a nice ring to it."

"Thank you."

"Hey, Jaiden, you thirsty? We have water, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, uh, you'll see." I led her toward the dining room.

"Yeah, now that you mention it." She followed me.

And we walked into the kitchen.

I needed to ask her something.