9

Raeesa Pov

I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down as Hayat reassured me that everything was alright. 

"I never had a memory loss," I admitted slowly. 

Hayat's face right now is a clear description of confusion and a state of denial.

Hayat asked me to repeat what I had said again. 

So with all the prayers and strength I could muster, I confessed. 

"I just pretended to have a memory loss, Hayat, so I could have a place to stay for the time being. I'm sorry; I'm ready to tell you everything." 

But before I could even say anything more, Hayat abruptly lifted his hand, cutting me off, and said that he had somewhere to go. He left, even though I kept calling his name, leaving me in distress. 

I decided to go inside the house and knocked on Mrs. Maryam's door, surprising her since I had never approached her within weeks of being in the house. 

I requested to speak with her and asked her about Hayat's dad. She looked concerned, making me feel even guiltier about everything.

She said Mr. Munir was on his way back home.

So I tried yet again with her; I squealed my eyes twice, opening them again, praying that everything would go well, and retold her what I said to Hayat.

"I've been lying to everybody since the day I came to this house, ma. Please,  I'm sorry," I confessed. As I spoke, Mr. Munir entered the room and asked what had happened, seeing the serious atmosphere encircling the room.

They sat me down and asked me to speak slowly while calming myself down. I narrated everything about my life and why I had lied to them. Then I added, "Please forgive me," as I finished, hoping that they would understand my situation.

Hayat walked in and said, "Nobody will forgive you. We gave you everything you need, and the least you can show is appreciation. Do not repay us with a lie. I always knew why I never trusted you; I felt like you were hiding something.

"Mr. Munir told Hayat to stop talking and then turned to me. "I've heard everything you said, and I'm sorry about all your parents did. How can some parents be this merciless? But don't worry; you're free to stay here as long as you like. However, we will need to contact your parents.

Just then, I felt my whole body paralyzed; my heart skipped a beat, filled with anguish, but I kept silent. 

I began explaining to them that it seemed like my parents didn't care whether I returned or not, just because I had deviated from their morals and run away from home. If they found out where I am, I don't know what they would do to me. I pleaded with them not to reveal my location, fearing the consequences.

Mrs. Sabriya could see how shaken I was and assured me that nobody would say anything about me, urging me to calm my mind. Grateful for her support, I mumbled a quiet thank you.

I retreated to my room, leaving the rest of the family behind. I had no idea what their decision would be. I wasn't even sure if Hayat had overheard our conversation or not. I didn't want him to further despise me.

Hayat, though distant, was a cool person. He would mostly stay in his room, and I used to think he was arrogant. But later, I realized that he only displayed that side of himself when someone disrupted his plans or betrayed him. Otherwise, he showed his good side too. It reminded me that every person has their ups and downs, their good and bad moments.

Whenever his mother found the opportunity, she would tell me things about Hayat, his best friend, Mashal, and the places he had traveled to. His extensive travels fascinated me, and I dreamed of having similar experiences while exploring the world myself.

He made me envision myself as a captive damsel while he was a free bird. I yearned to travel the world one day. With that thought, a smile illuminated my face as I drifted off into the realm of dreams.

- goodtidingss 💜❤️🌷🌸