𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟸𝟶: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 "𝚂𝚑𝚒𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝙱𝚘𝚞𝚕𝚍𝚎𝚛" 𝙲𝚊𝚟𝚎𝚜

25th July 1998:

"Shit—"

"What?"

I watch curiously as Chris pushes against the crank and tries to force it into the slot.

"It doesn't fit!"

Chris drops his arms away from the wall and huffs. Shuffling closer, I prod the small hole with my finger and click my tongue when I find the problem.

"Because this needs a hexagonal crank...this one's square, right?" I gesture to the one in Chris's hand with my finger still on the hole.

He nods and tosses the crank on the box behind him, barely containing another huff.

"Then there's gotta be one around here somewhere..." Rebecca looks at the hole with me while nibbling on her lip, "we still need to try the door by the ladder,"

I hum in response and stare ahead onto the other side of the gap. We definitely need to crank something if we want to cross over; the gap is too well-placed. Oh, and there's a door over there as well which we'll be needing to explore.

"Well, looks like we got no other option but to head another way," I sigh, turning round to Chris who's propped against the wooden box

There wasn't much inside it; just ink ribbons for some reason. Speaking of ink ribbons, there's another typewriter down here too. What is it with this place and typewriters?

"Alright, you lead the way," he pushes himself off the lid and gives a tight-lipped smile

I catch Becca's eye and she smiles too, nodding in agreement with Chris. They must really trust me to let me lead them around a bunch of caves.

"Ok," I blow out, "oh also, uh, just remember that our goal is not to get lost down here, got it?"

"Roger," Rebecca salutes a little too seriously.

I grin at her and start walking us back to the ladder. We all share affirmative nods before I push against the steel, blue door directly next to it. It opens heavily and scrapes against the rocky floor below.