𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷𝟺: 𝙾𝚗𝚎 "𝙱𝚒𝚐-𝙰𝚜𝚜" 𝚂𝚗𝚊𝚔𝚎

♧︎: once again, some of the puzzles may be a little different :)

25th July 1998:

"I can't do it,"

"You can,"

"I can't,"

"We just need practice, we'll be fine,"

"Everything ok over there?!"

Rebecca and I look up from the keys to the sight of Chris with a slightly amused expression.

"Yeah, (y/n) just needs a little more confidence, that's all," Rebecca states with a sweet smile.

After leaving Richard and firmly locking the door, Rebecca lead us to the piano room she mentioned. It turned out to be in the same corridor as poor Kenneth's body which sprung up mixed emotions. On the way through the dining room, I picked up the shield above the fireplace and Chris has been studying it for a little while.

While exploring the room, Rebecca found a music holder for the Moonlight Sonata. For the past 10 minutes, the two of us have been practising and I'm especially getting nowhere.

 For the past 10 minutes, the two of us have been practising and I'm especially getting nowhere

Chris perches himself on the edge of the dusty, black piano and watches me curiously.

I sigh inwardly then place my hands on the keys again; looks like I just have to keep practicing. Staring at the musical notes is making my head whirl and even Rebecca keeps stopping to squint at them every now and again.

The first time I played the Moonlight Sonata was also the last time I played piano. It was a delicate, beautiful tune and I just butchered it every time I took the bench. My impatience didn't help either.

"Let's try again, take your time," Becca shoots me with a hopeful look, seeming even younger than she is. I wonder if I looked that young when I first joined S.T.A.R.S.?

Her spiky brown bangs make me smile, they suit her and they're cute. I like Rebecca a lot; she's smart — incredibly smart and has a heart of pure gold. It's crazy that she's ended up here but I don't mind protecting her. If it keeps her alive then I'm more than happy.

Becca's fingers take to her side of the keys and mine automatically do the same. I take a deep breath and mentally cross my fingers, 10th time lucky.

Slowly, hesitantly, we start to play again. As the first melancholy notes echo throughout the room, I feel myself relaxing and gradually let the tension slip away. This run isn't sounding too bad. It's not amazing, the tempo is still off — but at least we're hitting the right notes, and the strength of the melody more than makes up for our lack of experience. If only the keys weren't so stiff-

Something moves behind us. Rebecca jumps, knocking the music over and searches wildly for the attacker. Chris and I stand back to back, circling the room.