Chapter 25 - That's... true.

Start from the beginning

"Sorry," he replies with a sigh, shaking his head. "No can do."

"You know, for someone who's supposedly meant to be winning over the heart of my best friend, you're doing a pretty crappy job by kidnapping me."

He frowns. "I didn't kidnap you."

Now it's my turn to frown. "Then who the hell did?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why are you here then?"

"I volunteered to be."

"What does that mean?"

"I can't tell you."

"Ugh!" I groan in annoyance, deciding to just go back to fighting against the ropes when I realise that he's going to be of no use whatsoever.

"You're just going to hurt yourself more," he informs me as he watches me struggle, which only angers me further, but that's good. Anger is good. It keeps the fear at bay.

"Good," I snap at him, my voice growing stronger with more use. "Maybe it'll add even more fuel to Jess's fire."

"Don't think that's possible," he replies, watching me as I struggle.

I'm not completely sure what that statement was aimed at, my comment about Jess or me trying to get my hands free from behind my back. In all honesty, I don't really care, all I care about is getting these damn ropes off of me.

And then what? That little defeated voice inside of me asks, causing me to stop my struggle as I know I'm only succeeding in wasting my energy. Devlin is sat right there, if you escape all that's going to happen is he's going to stop you.

"Shit!" I hiss, slumping back in my seat and closing my eyes.

I don't understand this, Devlin doesn't even seem like a bad guy, so why the hell is he here?

"I have a proposal," he says suddenly, and I open my eyes to look at him.

"What sort of proposal?" I eventually ask, glancing at the door before returning my gaze back to him.

Right now, it doesn't look like I have any other choice but to try and sweet-talk my way into getting him to loosen the ropes.

"I'll try and help you escape..." that has my immediate attention. "If you try and talk Jess into giving me at least half a chance."

"You make it sound as if that's something I can actually do," I reply.

"I think it is. Either you or that other girl, what was her name... Amy? Yeah, that's it. You three seemed pretty close, so you and Amy seem like my best shots, and since I have access to you and not her..."

"If you hadn't already noticed, Jess isn't exactly fond of you. As in, at all."

"Which is why I'm asking you to help."

"And if it doesn't work?" I ask, wanting to know what consequences I'll have to face if I don't succeed.

He shrugs. "Then at least it was worth a shot."

"That's it?" I ask, frowning in confusion. "No threat, no blackmail?"

"What's the point? If it doesn't work it doesn't work. I'm not an asshole."

"But you're a rogue!"

"So? You can't choose who your parents are."

That's... true.

I study him for a few seconds, searching for any sign that he's lying. I can't find one.

"So if you help me escape, I'll try and change Jess's mind about you. If it doesn't work... then that's it?"