Chapter 47 - I can't save her...

Chapter 47 – I can't save her...

Justin's POV

The element of surprise is clearly on our side as we lunge for the three rogues, which is exactly what I'd hoped would happen. The rogues are fast to react as they try to meet us halfway, but they're not fast enough and we still have the upper hand as we take them down. One of them, a young male, tries to head directly for me and I snarl at him in response, the sound rippling up my throat as we both attack to kill. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it kind of happens in a freeze frame effect. I see his muzzle, a scar etched into the side of it, headed straight for me and I react on impulse, adrenaline racing through my veins as I aim straight for his throat. Then, a crack, and the rogue is lying dead at my feet in seconds.

Holy shit.

The other two rogues soon follow, one taken down by Beck and the other by Jess and Devlin. None of them stood a chance, their trio was largely outnumbered. Despite this, I still glance over at Lucy to make sure she's okay and find her scouring the area for any signs of traps. Hunters traps are definitely more her forte than mine, which is just pure fact as, the first time I ventured out this far, she stopped me from getting my leg chewed off by a bear trap. As I watch, I can't help but feel grateful that the rogue had gone for me and not her when we attacked, as I'm happy to find that there's not a single scratch on her. Although I know she can handle herself and that, even if he had targeted her, there were at least four others ready to help her out, I don't like the idea of her getting hurt. I want to protect her; I need to protect her.

When she gives us the all clear of traps, we begin to venture forward. The other groups should be closing in now from all the other sides, which means we're officially now on pest control. We need to box the rogues in, trap them, and then exterminate them from our lives for good. We can do this; we just have to work as a team, as a Pack.

It doesn't take long for us to find our next lot of rogues, and we swiftly jump into action. There are five of them this time, which proves to be a bit more of a challenge but not by much. Each pair of us choose a target and attack, leaving Beck in a one on one with a particularly tough looking rogue who, from the looks of it, has a clear grudge against him. A small part of me wonders if they know each other whilst the rest of me focuses on the enemy in front of me. This time it's a female, fairly large and covered from head to toe in grotesque looking scars, and she looks to be a bit older than my last opponent. This means she's also more experienced than he was, which is why we have to be careful. Working as a team, Lucy and I both circle her from either side and wait to see which one of us she goes for first. It's a bit of a gamble, I'll admit, but I'm praying that due to the fact I'm larger and stronger, the rogue will want to eliminate me first. The gamble pays off as she lunges at me, jaws aimed for my throat, which leaves Lucy safe and unharmed. I quickly dart left, narrowly missing the rogues attack as she goes to clamp down on my throat, but I'm instantly retaliating and we're soon in a lockdown, each of us fighting to get to the others throat first. Lucy darts around the rogue, attacking her from all other angles and effectively weakening her enough for me to finish her off. Soon, she's lying on the ground with the other rogues.

I glance over at Lucy to find that she's already watching me and I know that we're thinking the same thing: we make a great team. I've got more strength but she's got more speed, together we're unstoppable. So that becomes our tactic from here on out, with me baiting our enemies enough to gain their attention whilst Lucy zips in an out to weaken them from all sides, until I can get enough upper hand to finish them off. It's a bloody great tactic if I do say so myself, and I can tell that Lucy's proud of our progress too.

Before long, the sound of howling fills the air and it announces to us that the top rogues are now aware of our location. The element of surprise is no longer on our side which means we have to work fast if we want to keep the upper hand.