Chapter 25 - That's... true.

Start from the beginning

That's when the blind panic sets in, causing me to be able to do nothing more than sit frozen still as I watch the door with wide eyes. This is it, time's up.

The distinct sound of two people talking in the hallway drifts through the door and I desperately try to catch what they're saying, but all I can catch are the occasional words such as "girl" and "room", which isn't very helpful in telling me a who or a why. I can, however, tell that the two voices are male.

Suddenly, the door handle to the room begins to turn, and I hold my breath and keep my eyes glued to the door as it slowly begins to open. A guy walks in.

"You're awake," he says in surprise when he sees me, apparently still expecting me to be unconscious.

I don't reply.

My heart is pounding in my chest as I watch him, and I do my best to force down the frozen fear that is slowly crawling its way up my throat in a sudden attempt to let out a scream. I can't scream, I won't scream, the only thing it'll accomplish is alerting the other guy and any other people in the house that I've regained consciousness.

Looking unsure of what to do now, the guy looks behind him back out into the hallway before closing the door completely and walking further into the room.

"It's Lucy, right?" he asks, taking a seat on the edge of the bed.

Again, I don't reply.

I take in his appearance, starting with his mop of black hair and pale green eyes that seem to be studying me in the same way that I am him. He's wearing a black T-shirt and some worn blue jeans along with a pair of black trainers that look as though they've seen better days. Another thing that I take note of are his muscles, which aren't exactly lacking. This guy is strong, that much I can tell, and I come to the only conclusion I can think of. He's a rogue. And I can safely say that I have never seen him before in my life. Or have I?

As my eyes return to his face, I catch sight of a small detail that I apparently overlooked before. The light pink trail of a scar, almost invisible in the dim lighting of the room, trails down from behind his ear and under the neckline of his T-shirt.

I've seen that scar before...

"Devlin?" I ask before I can stop myself, my voice hoarse and crackling. Is this really Devlin? Devlin, as in, Jess's predestined mate?

He raises his eyebrows slightly in surprise. "She told you I came to visit her?"

"Um..." I clear my throat, "Kind of?"

I quickly try to gain some idea of what's going on right now, but come up completely blank. Devlin, the guy who is apparently Jess's predestined mate, kidnapped me? What the hell is going on?!

He sighs and shakes his head, running his hand through his hair quickly before looking back up at me.

"How is she?"

"Um..." I say again, not quite sure how to answer. Here I am tied to a chair after being kidnapped, and he's asking me how my friend is... how am I supposed to answer that?

I decide to go for a more cold and defensive approach. After all, I still have no idea why he brought me here.

"I couldn't tell you, you know, what with me being tied up here and all."

"Right, right," he replies, glancing over at the door.

"What's going on?" I ask, deciding to try and get some answers when I realise that he's not going to say anything else about this situation.

"I can't tell you," he replies, looking back over at me. Helpful.

"Well can you at least loosen up these ropes a little?" I try, hoping that he'll free me up just enough for me to get my hands free. "I'm dying here."