Chapter Eighteen: Appeal

*

*

*

I Sat Quiet While My Lawyer And The Bitch Who Prosecuted Me Went Back And Forth.

"With All Due Respect Your Honor, He Pleaded Guilty To Manslaughter. Why Should Mr. Diaz Be A Free Man?" She Slandered Me.

"Excuse You? Your Honor My Client Pleaded Guilty To An Accident, He Was Under The Influence" My Lawyer Argued.

"What If He's Under The Influence Again? Will He Then Kill Another Innocent Man?" She Snapped Back.

"Your Honer, My Client Has Served Three Plus Years In Prison. Other Than Prior Incidents, I Believe There Should Be An Appeal For Mr. Diaz" He Told The Judge.

Mr. Para, The Judge Sighed. "Mr. Diaz Please Stand" I Stood Up Fixing My Suit. "What Will You Do To Better Yourself?" He Questioned.

I Tried To Find The Right Words To Say, Cause What I Wanted To Say Would Lead My Ass Right To Contempted Court.

"Your Honor, I Have Two Beautiful Young Children That Need Me. I Feel As If I've Spent Enough Of My Life In A Cell. I'll Do Whatever It Takes To Better Myself, I Am Not A Threat To Anyone Or Anything. I Had A Great Night And Had Too Many Drinks, As Carefree As That Sounds, I Believe That I Can Fix My Mistakes. I Did My Time, I Just Want To Be Home With My Family" I Explained.

"And What About The Deceased? He Will Never Be Able To See His Family Again And Vice Versa"

"Your Honor, Mr. Diaz Has A Record Prior To The Murder. He Has A Long History Of Drug Trafficking And Distribution" That Prosecutor Bitch Had It Coming.

"Relevance Your Honor. That Has Nothing To Do With This Case, He Was Not Charged With Any Of Those Accusations Ms. Dallas Has Presented"

"I'm Just Looking Out For Our Community, Someone Has To Keep The Bad Guys Off The Street" She Stressed.

"Are You Profiling, Ms. Dallas?" My Lawyer Smirked.

"You're Pushing It Ms. Dallas" Mr. Para Sat Up.

"My Apologies, Your Honor. I Believe In The Judicial System, It Is My Job To Keep Our Streets Safe And To Keep Anyone And Everything Out Of Harms Way"

"Profiling Again? Your Honor, All I'm Asking For Is For My Client To Be Set Free And Sent Home To His Family. He Has Did Enough Time, Just Please Give Us Another Chance At An Second Appeal"

"He's Already Pleaded Guilty To The Crime, There's No Reason For A Second Appeal Your Honor"

"We Just Want To Know When He'll Be Able To Be Released"

"The Mandated Sentence, Was Two To Four Years, Your Client Has Done Three"

"Exactly. The Minimum Time Was Two Years Your Honor. My Client Has Did Three Fourths Of The Maximum"

"What Will This Appeal Do For Your Client? Ms. Dallas Is Correct, He's Already Pleaded Guilty To The Crime. He Cannot Reverse His Plea When In Your Words Mr. Gilbert, He's Done Three Fourths Of The Maximum Time"

I Sat Taking Deep Breaths, I Was Getting Pissed Off.

"With All Due Respect Your Honor, He's Done Too Much Time If You Ask Me"

"Mr. Gilbert, You're Pushing Your Luck. Your Client Pleaded Guilty To Involuntary Manslaughter, He Does Not Get To Reverse His Plea After Three Years. Finish The Maximum Of The Sentence, I Won't Allow It"

"Dismissed" He Banged His Gravel.

Pissed Was An Understatement. What The Fuck? This Was Some Straight Up Bullshit. Who Else Did I Have To Fuck To Get The Fuck Out This Place? Claire Had Some Explaining To Do.