Chapter 16: Never Enough Time.

Start from the beginning

The world was a beautiful thing to look at.

I can now understand why my old dad loved to just sit on his porch and stare into the wilderness, doing nothing but rock back and forth.

Tearing up a bit on the inside, we finally made it back to the cave in a matter of moments. Mom and the rest of the family, save for dad, was there to greet me.

I let loose of my forced physical growth, shrinking back into a 3-month-old baby.

I did the soul thing that changed me from dragon to dragonoid and vise versa, my baby form growing back into my dragon form. It hurt a lot.

Of course, I didn't forget my promise with mom.

I walked over to Odin,

"I'm sorry for knocking you unconscious with that sucker punch of mine."

And said sorry.

"No worries, sis. I too wouldn't be sure of my strength in that small of a body." Odin seemed to sense my melancholy mood and just let me go.

I walked over to my spot of the cave and slumped down on the ground. I didn't feel like doing anything else but think of my time as the little girl known as Isis.

Mom saw my sorry, sad self and walked over.

"What's got you so down, Setsuna?"

Setsuna.

That's my real name, it feels like such a long time since I was called that even though it has only been 3 days.

Mom laid her body down next to mine.

"I was just thinking about my time outside and how it felt so short." Being honest, I told mom the reason for my gloom.

"Well, sweetie, that's just how life goes." Mom said as she wrapped a wing around my body. Her body heat felt so warm and soothing.

"But, I will say that even if your time outside was so short, there is always the chance to go out again for as long as you want. Just wait till you're a bit older, okay?"

"Okay."

Entrusting my body to my mother's warmth and protection, I suddenly felt tired and soon drifted off to sleep.

...

I awoke to the sound of dad finally coming home.

"Welcome back, honey." Mom greeted him home.

"I'm back." Dad announced with a yawn. He skinned the animal he caught today, some bison-like creature, and took a large bite out of it. The rest for us.

Yawning again, he laid down on the nest and went to sleep. What a carefree dad.

With my sleep schedule messed up for the time being because of the over 6 hour nap, I moved out from mother's wing and made my way to the bison thing.

Nibbling at the blood drained corpse, the taste of steak filled my mouth.

Though it was delicious, I wasn't feeling that hungry. I still ate my portion regardless. It had been 2 days since I had a proper meal.

After eating my fill, I went to the entrance of the cave and sat, staring at the setting sun.

The blue sky started to turn pink, the clouds growing a dark blue color. The sun disappearing into the horizon.

I don't know how long I sat there watching, but I heard the heavy thumping of something coming over to me.

"What's on your mind?" Dad said as he sat down right next to me, a satisfied exhale coming out of his mouth when he did.