Chapter 8: Solo Week!

Start from the beginning

When we got done hugging Brooke and welcoming her back to the team, I looked over and there was Payton, crying her eyes out. I automatically felt bad for her and gave her a hug. Maddie looked at Miss Abby to see what she had to say.

"Payton, you were brought in as a replacement. You were not the right replacement for this group." Abby explained.

Leslie started arguing with Abby, getting absolutely nowhere, to be honest. I felt bad for Payton, but I was mainly just really happy that Brooke was back on the team.

When Leslie decided she was storming out with Payton trailing behind her, the rest of us glanced at Abby to see what she would say.

She cleared her throat. "Okay. Now that that's over with. This weekend, we are traveling to West Coast Dance Explosion in Phoenix, Arizona!"

We all cheered. Abby opened her mouth to speak once again. "And, at this competition...you will all be doing solos."

We all already knew that, but the producers motioned to us to look excited and jump up and down, so we did. I wondered how real a reality show could be when the producers were basically telling us what to do and when to do it.

"Okay. Maddie, your solo is a Latin infused jazz dance. Your energy has to be high. It's called "Maestro Man"." Abby explained. Maddie's face lit up, excited to be performing a style of dance that she didn't usually do.

"Chloe. Your solo is a ballet piece. Your technique has to be completely on point. It's called "In For The Thrill"." Abby nodded at Chlo. Chloe smiled. She loved ballet, and was probably the best at it out of all the original ALDC girls.

"Hailey, your solo is...we're gonna go a different route with you this week. You're doing a contemporary routine called "Can Anybody Hear Me?". It's about a little girl who is abused and bullied and neglected and eventually commits suicide. You really have to emote with this one. No more boring lyrical dances." Abby raised her eyebrows, and I nodded, smiling from ear to ear. I loved contemporary pieces, but I'd never done a contemporary solo before, so I was excited.

I glanced at my mom, who looked a little confused. Probably wondering about the theme of the dance. Worried about how mature it was. I thought it was fine, but whatever.

"Nia, your solo is called "I'm Gonna Survive". It's lyrical, and I know you've been working really hard on your technique in ballet class, so this should be really clean and pretty. Don't screw it up." Abby said. Nia smiled, happy to be getting a lyrical routine.

"Kendall, your solo is a lyrical piece called "Sweet Little Lies". We're gonna really work on those faces with this dance." Kendall nodded and Jill wore a smile that kind of reminded me of that purple cat from Alice In Wonderland.

"Paige. Your dance is an acro jazz routine called "Make Some Noise". The energy level has to be up. The legs have to be straight. The feet have to be pointed. Understood?" Abby asked. Paige smiled and nodded. I wondered why Paige hadn't gotten something that wasn't her usual style - the rest of us had. Whatever. I was happy that she was doing a solo to begin with. I loved watching Paige dance - she didn't have the best technique, but when she was out there, she looked like she was having fun.

"Brooke. Your solo is an acrobatic piece called "Who Am I?". You're kind of at that stage in your life where you're trying to figure out who you are, which is what the dance is about. You have to push yourself. The tricks have to be clean." Abby said. Brooke nodded and smiled. I knew the producers wouldn't show her smile, though. They loved to make her look like a bratty teenager who's never, ever happy with anything.

"And Mackenzie. Your routine is a cute acro routine called "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda". Your tricks have gotten a lot better, and I want to see all of them in this routine." Abby said. Kenzie smiled her toothless smile.