2

Wei Wuxian stayed behind and began to walk around the room, inspecting the equipment. He could see Wangji watching him from the corner of his eyes but made no attempt of realising his attention.

Instead he walked over to a fake stealth car and bent down to look inside it, checking out the buttons and handles and the wheel. Satisfied with his search, he pulled himself out of the car and continued to wander around.

"Why did you stay?" Wangji inquired as he made his way over to the boy.

"Why did you?" Wuxian countered.

"Answer the question."

"Why should I? I don't have to. Plus training is over, you're no longer the Instructor, just a person."

Wei Wuxian smirked at Wangji's silent annoyance and decided to head over to the door. But it wasn't the one that the boys left through, no, it was a another one that was steel and cold and small enough for only one person to pass through at a time. Wangji was surprised the boy noticed it since it was hidden away in the corner and slightly blended in with the grey walls.

"Where does this go?" Wei Wuxian asked as he pulled on the small handle. Not to his surprise, it wouldn't open.

"It does not concern you."

"Really?" Wuxian gave him a raised brow before turning and examining the door. He felt around the frame and the handle until he felt a small raise in the surface on the right side. He pressed lightly on it and the door shifted open.

"How did-"

"I don't reveal my secrets, Lan Wangji. Now, shall we go up?"

The boy began to make his way up the metal staircase and could feel Wangji's presence behind him. He smiled before turning his walk into a run and he sprinted up the stairs. He heard the older huff the word boring under his breath and he laughed softly through his breathing.

At the top of the stairs he reached another steel door but this one had a keyhole. He scanned around the door for a hidden key but found none. He was considering kicking it down and took a step back when he bumped into a hard chest and felt a presence behind him.

"Can you open it?"

Wangji was silent as he looked down at Wuxian, who was slightly leaning against his chest as he looked up at him.

"Please?" Wuxian added with a smile.

"Hm."

Wangji pulled a set of keys from his jacket pocket. They jingled lightly into the quiet air and glinted from the few harsh lights above them. He leaned forwards to place one of the smaller keys into the door, moving against Wei Wuxian as he did so.

Wuxian was about to say something but found he couldn't talk, his breath stolen by what he saw. He quickly ran onto what he believed to be the top of the building and straight to the edge. Ahead of him was the most beautiful skyline with the whole city below. The buildings were cast in an amber glow from the setting sun and the windows seemed to be small jewels embedded between the streets and buildings.

"It's amazing." he spoke quietly as he looked upon the view.

"Hm."

"But why is the door not visibly accessible?"

"Fire escape or invasion getaway."

"Oh, I get it. You come up here often?"

"Hm."

"Well now you may have some company." Wei Wuxian gave a grin to Wangji before turning to face him and holding out a hand.

"Wei Ying."