Must've been the wind

It's Eren's first day in this building he moved in few days ago but today was his first staying in, it wasn't as big as his house but at least now he won't have to drive an hour and a half to reach the hospital.

Eren had just came back from a long shift and he was ready to give up and go to the dream world, he dropped his keys on the table, took off his shoes and threw himself on the bed without even changing but before drifting to sleep he thought he heard what sounds like two people yelling coming from upstairs but his sleep was so strong he gave in thinking maybe it was his brain playing games on him due to the lack of sleep.

The next day Eren had a day off he was talking with his friend Armin who called to ask about his new place when Eren suddenly heared a glass shattering on the ground upstairs and a girl crying
"Armin, I have to go now I'll call you later"
"Ok, Eren take care"

Eren couldn't shake the worry when he heard those noises, so what I heard yesterday was true, he kept debating whether he should go check on her or not.

But this glass he heard followed by the crying didn't make him feel easy at all so he put on his shoes took his keys and went upstairs.

Eren was so nervous of what he could face when he knocks on the door, the worst scenarios came into his mind and he was trying to play in his head how will he react in each scenario but he still knew that no matter how much he repeated the scenario in his head, he will forget everything if it was actually true.

Before he realizes Eren was already standing in front of the door he took a deep breath and knocked on the door. No answer.
Eren started to get nervous his heart beating so fast now he decided to knock again his heart calmed down a little when the door started to open slowly revealing a girl with short black hair she was wearing a sweater the was covering her body even her neck, Eren could see traces on tears on her cheek.

"Hey I am Eren I live downstairs"
"Hi Eren is something wrong?"
"I have been hearing things from your place, are you ok?" The girl's eyes widened she took few moments to reply
"Things?"
"Yeah like glass breaking and umm crying"
"Well non of that happened maybe you heard it wrong, or it must have been the wind"
Eren was do sure of what he heard but he figured that she doesn't want to talk about and he didn't want to pressure her
"Oh maybe sorry to bother you then"
"No you didn't bother me thank you for caring, Eren"
"No problem, umm"
"Mikasa"
"Mikasa, it was nice meeting you Mikasa goodnight"
"Goodnight"

It's been two days and Eren hasn't heard a thing from Mikasa yet he was still worried so he decided to go see her.
But before that he went to the store down the street to get her some chocolate bars becasue most girls like chocolate.

It took him one knock this time for Mikasa to open the door she was surprised when she saw Eren on the door
"Hey"
"Hey, Eren"
"So umm I thought you might like chocolate so I bought you some"
"Thank you Eren you really didn't have to"
"It's not a problem and you know I get told alot that I am a good friend and a great listener so whenever you need me just come knock" that made Mikasa giggle and Eren's lips tilted into a small smile
"Thank you again Eren I have to go back in"
"Ok see you later then"

And that's how it became a habit for Eren to bring something different for Mikasa each day after his shift and checks up on her and it became a habit for Mikasa to stay up late waiting for Eren to come by and have this little chat with him.

Even though it lasted for few minutes they both loved their little interaction and looked forward to it each day.

Eren made sure that whenever he's home early and after he sees Mikasa he would play songs like "lean on me" so she can know that he's here for her whenever she needs him.

One day Eren just left Mikasa he had brought her some doughnuts today he took a quick shower and changed into something comfortable to sleep in and as he was about to go to bed when there was a knock on the door.

When Eren opened the door he saw Mikasa standing with wet cheeks and tears in her eyes
"Can I come in?"
"Of course"