Am I asking for something impossible?

Rout's POV

"So, do you know what you want to do on your birthday?" Lindsey asked with enthusiasm.

"Nothing. You know me, why even ask?" I shrugged my shoulders. Not that she could see me anyway.

"Well but I think you should change that ASAP, because this might be the last time you can go all out before this whole wolf thingy starts."

"Ehhh. It is not just some 'wolf thingy'. That is how things are for us." Talking to her is like talking to a brick wall. Don't get me wrong-she has been my best friend since we were seven-but she is nowhere near understanding my life...well, at least one part of it.

"Don't li to me, and say you are not excited to meet him. I know you are really uncomfortable around strangers. And I also know your love life is non-existent. But this is a huge thing." She replied and I could tell she was smirking on the other end of this ridiculous phone call.

"The moon goddess chooses my soulmate, and I am going to obey that. There is no room for my opinion. And if we won't reject each other, I will live with them till the day I die, please do not forget that gender doesn't play any role when it comes to this. And the reason I don't do relationships is not because I am cold hearted, I just don't see the point of meaningless flings when there is someone just for me."

"Well, if you insist. Let's take this conversation back to your eighteenth birthday. I still think we should do something. Maybe skipping classes and going on a shopping spree or the movies..." Someone seems bipolar all of the sudden.

"I am not skipping classes, are you insane? Just drop it, my dad won't let me do anything. He wants me home at least an hour before the exact time I was born." At this point I was starting to get bored with talking to her.

"Rout don't do this to me. And think about Ed. Hmm? What would he think about this? I need to enjoy you before there will be a boy-" Lindsey is your typical high school girl. Long dark brown hair, eyes looking like an ocean during a summer storm, naturally tan skin, and a thin waist. Her biggest hobby is stealing boyfriends and talking until you have a headache.

"Have you already done that literature homework?" I asked trying to lead this conversation elsewhere.

"We had homework!? Oh, I see what you are trying to do." Damn it. "I am not done talking to you. And I have plenty of time to finish it-it is just Sunday evening."

"You better get started...Bye Lindsey."

"I will-" I sighed after ending the call. Why was she always so against mates and intrigued by them at the same time?

Mate... I have no idea if I will find them after turning eighteen this Tuesday. It is not a rule that you find your mate right after, sometimes it takes years because you need to be close to each other. But do I even want to find them? Leave the pack I've known my whole life? Leave my family?

"Rout! Come here!" The whole house shivered after hearing the voice of my father. He is a Beta in our pack-The moon pack.

I went out of my room towards the staircase meeting worried faces of other pack members. Everybody here knows how my father is. But are afraid to do something about it. The closer I was to the common room the more my anxiety grew. What did I do wrong this time?

"What do you think you are doing?" my father shouted, and I mentally prepared for the impact. "You think you will imprint your mate and leave this household? Without proving your worth to this pack?"

"There is a big possibility that I won't even find them right away." I stated shyly. My words seemed to trigger him as he slapped me across my cheek. I knew better than to react. I stood there, head held low, tears prickled the corners of my eyes, but I blinked them away.