XI

•

I can smell the rusted metal baking in the sun. Beyond the brush of trees is an old boat, resting in the middle of a field. I can't sense anyone, but I can see them. Mutants walking about, harvesting things from a community garden. I let a deep breath soak into my weak chest, smelling the dirt. I feel a little stronger, letting the plants around me give me any help they can.

I told Hank to stay with Peter. He's still in critical condition, still reliant on machines while his body fully adjusts to the energy transfer. It took practically two days to try to convince Hank to let me take the car. To come here alone. I left without telling. My bones are stronger, but barely. I have just enough energy to stand, stopping every now and then to rest. The walk from the car feels like miles.

I see Erik over in the distance.

When more people spot me they whisper amongst themselves. I imagine they're gearing up for a fight. They look like they've seen a lot, and if they're anything like Erik they have. He notices me when someone nudges him, meeting me halfway in the field. I sigh in relief. His brows furrow.

"You're...that girl with the energy," he tries to produce my name, "Firefly." I lower the hood of my sweater. His eyes widen as they trace over my gray skin, "Don't take this the wrong way but you look like shit."

"Thanks," I reply sarcastically. I tug on the chain around his neck, "So you're one of those older guys that wears necklaces and V-necks now? Mid-life crisis?"

"Did you come here just to insult me or do you have something meaningful to say?"

I sigh, "I need your help."

He rolls his eyes at the cloudy sky, "Why does everyone need my help today?"

"Wait...who else came here today?"

"Sorry, I don't go handing out the whereabouts of people who don't want to be found. And I'm retired. You'll have to do your dirty work yourself." He turns back around, heading for a small shack near the rusty boat.

"Shaw did this to me."

Erik stops. "Shaw's dead."

"No, he's not."

"What would you know about Shaw?"

I sigh and roll my eyes. "He's my dad." Erik stops in his tracks, chest heaving.

He turns to me after doing the math, scowl ridden on his face. "That's not funny."

"Hey, how do you think I can manipulate energy so easily? Also the guy's been forty for like ten years. It's seriously creepy," I kick into the dirt.

He looks around and waves some of the people waiting around us off. They retreat back into their gardens, still watching us between the leaves. "If what you're saying it true, then we need to talk about this somewhere private." He motions to a small shack beside the abandoned boat. He glances at my knees shaking, exhausting themselves. "Can you make it over there?" The low sound if thunder shakes the ground.