57

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

When I reentered my small outer office, I could hear arguing from Von Steubon's office, through the partially open door.

Pirot's voice: "She's my friend, and I don't want to keep her here like a prisoner, but for her own safety! If she runs, and gets caught, she'll be doubly in trouble. How could you do something stupid like that, sending her off? We'll be lucky to ever see her again!"

"Pirot..."

I could tell from Von Steubon's voice, as I listened from outside the door, that he was becoming frustrated.

Pirot continued on. "She's running late! She should be back by now."

But I wasn't back, because I had stopped and looked into the shop windows, something that Pirot and Von Steubon didn't know.

"Pirot!" snapped Von Steubon. "Have a little faith in Ilsa."

"Oh no," said Pirot, sarcastically. "It isn't Ilsa I have no faith in. After this stupid move, it's you I have a lack of faith in." Her voice turned worried. "Oh...what if she's been found out? What if she's run into trouble...You should have sent someone else, or..."

I walked in at that moment, clearing my throat to announce my presence. Both Von Steubon and Pirot stood, Pirot looking incredibly relieved, and Von Steubon's expression not revealing anything.

"I apologize for being late..." I said, humbly, hurrying forward and handing the letters to Von Steubon. "I'm sorry, Hauptsturmfuhrer Von Steubon," I added, addressing him as a secretary should address their captain. "I stopped to look in the shop windows."

He frowned, but took the letters from me, not saying anything. Pirot seemed too busy being relieved to be angry at Von Steubon any longer.

Eventually, we both left the office together.

Pirot turned to look at me. "Did you...think of leaving?" she asked, her voice sounding as though she were worried for my answer.

I nodded, and she looked sad. "Wouldn't you, though?" I asked. "If you stood at a fork in the road and looked on down the path that would lead to your possible freedom, and then looked back down the path that led to the place where you had once been a prisoner, wouldn't you at least consider the path that took you towards home?"

Pirot hesitated, before nodding. "I would," she said.

I nodded again. "But I did come back, didn't I?"

She looked up at me. "Yes...You did."

She still looked out of sorts, so I took her hand. "What's wrong, Pirot?" I asked her.

She sighed, pulling her hand back and looking at her hands instead of at me. "I just..." she sighed. "I didn't want to lose my...my friend. You're...the best friend I've had since I was just a little girl."

I smiled. "I'm glad I came back, Pirot," I said, hugging her. "I would have missed you if I left."

She smiled and we began to walk once more, upstairs to our room.

"I guess I owe Von Steubon an apology..." she said, eventually, making me laugh slightly.