80

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

Freidrich did not come out of his office at all for the rest of the night.

When it came time for me to leave, I cleaned my desk, glancing every so often at the closed door.

I left the office, but only for enough time as it took to fetch a glass of cold water.

Then I returned, to knock on Freidrich’s door and to wait for a few moments for an answer.

Eventually, just as I was about to knock again, the door opened and Freidrich stood there, his hand still on the knob.

He had taken off his jacket, cap, and tie, and the top collar button of his white shirt was undone. He looked tired, and defeated.

My hand, still half-lifted, fell to my side, and I glanced at the glass of water in my hand.

“I…brought you this,” I said, holding it out to him. “I thought you might…I don’t know…”

He took the glass from my hand, effectively silencing me.

“Thank you,” he said, giving me a small smile.

After a moment’s silence, he nodded somewhat awkwardly, before turning and going to stand behind his desk.

He took a sip of the water, his gaze trained on the papers strewn somewhat haphazardly across his desk. I was somewhat surprised by this uncharacteristic display of disorganization.

“Roderich,” I began. “Your uncle, then?”

He nodded, before running a hand through his hair and sitting down heavily in his chair. “He’s…persistent. I suppose he decided that his letters were not getting through to me and decided to see if a visit would make any difference.”

“Obviously it didn’t…”

Freidrich shook his head. “He’ll keep trying though. Despite the fact that Maddalyn and I are not his children by birth, he still cares about us…quite a lot actually. It’s hard for him and my aunt…”He rested his hands on the desk and stared down at them as if concentrating deeply. “I know they worry about me…And I hate to know that I cause them to worry…But I cannot, in good conscience, continue to stand for what my uncle stands for…or at least goes along with and accepts. He’s a cautious man, my Uncle Roderich. He’s not really a political person, but he likes to follow whoever’s rules he needs to in order to create the least amount of a stir. He always has.” He frowned. “To have someone like me in his family is somewhat worrisome to him, because he knows that I’ll only bring attention to the family…to him…and he knows his loyalties will be questioned eventually.”

I was silent, but I moved from my spot by the door to sit before his desk, pulling the chair forward slightly.

Freidrich sighed. “I’ve tried to keep them separate from me…distanced from my actions. I don’t want them to have to face consequences for a choice that isn’t theirs. But Roderich…” He laughed shortly, shaking his head. “Roderich just will not quit.

We were both silent then, for a while. My eyes fell on a small, black box sitting near the edge of the desk.

“What’s this?” I asked, picking it up, turning it over and then right side up.

He glanced at the box, before sighing slightly and leaning back in his chair, looking as though he had given up. “You might as well open it,” he said, finally.