62

Official Report

British Intelligence

Code: 3986

Kathleen Winfred

Matthew and I had become good friends.
I admit that, at first, I had fancied him somewhat.

However, as we talked more and more, he began to feel like my older brother.
I knew that the prison was scheduled to have a transfer coming up, at the beginning of fall. I began to fear that Matthew would be transferred and I would no longer be able to talk to him.
I'd learned more about him. He said there was a girl back home who he had hoped to impress by joining the army. He said that if he was able to ride out the war here in prison, and survive, that he might actually get somewhere with her. He said he didn't know for sure, however, because she, as a girl, was honestly quite confusing to him.
I laughed, but told him that if he ever needed any advice on girls, he could always write to me and I'd do my best to give him advice based on personal experience. I told him I found men just as confusing as he found girls.

He told me he'd give me some advice on boys, starting with something he knew from his own personal experience.

I asked him what that piece of advice was.

He said that he had been paying lots of attention to his surroundings here at the prison, and that he thought that there just might be someone here at the compound that had noticed me. He told me that he had his suspicions that this particular person might be "sweet on me", as he put it.

However, no matter how much I begged him to tell me who this mystery person was, he remained tight-lipped.
Eventually, I was forced to give up, as Von Steubon, performing his habitual inspection, noticed the two of us talking quietly to one another and immediately broke us up.