||Five||-›Footman

Start from the beginning

Fortunately, Julius had his duties for the day keeping him occupied. He was seated on a short stonewall, watching over the horses set free to roam for an hour and feed on the trim grasses in the apple orchard, because Marian said it is good for their digestive system.

“Julius!” he jerked his head towards the sound of his name.

It was Rebekah Smith. She had a bright smile on her face and held a serving tray in hand as her clog thud against the verdant grass.

“What is all this?” With a chuckle, Julius inquired when she approached him. Rebekah placed down a tray containing a plate filled with three Chelsea buns, and two glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice onto the stonewall he was seated on.

“How did you know where to find me?” he added, eyes narrowed in suspicion and false displeasure.

“Oh please, Mr Cadwell, I have long figured out that this verdant place is your sanctuary,” she teased, and he chuckled softly.

“Here you go, I nicked some baked Chelsea buns and squeezed some oranges,” smiling, she handed him a bun and a glass of juice.

“Thank you, I have never had one of these before,” Julius slowly confessed, staring down at the golden bun in his lap.

“There is a first for everything, Julius,” she offered, smiling as well.

“You do know we would be dead meat if Madame Marian comes to know we are having our meal outdoors,” Julius remarked as Rebekah hopped onto the wall to join him. “It simply won't do,” with his pointer finger raised, he mimicked Madame Marian in an exaggerated high pitched voice, which Rebekah could not help but break into a gentle fit of laughter at.

“You are something else, Julius. If only she could see you now,” offered Rebekah. “Also, she is in the manor, no need to fret.”

At the mention of the manor, Julius's face briefly cringed in displeasure, and Rebekah noted the now common reaction.

“You truly despise it in there, don't you? Why is that?”

Julius toyed with the pastry in his grasp. “ ...I'd rather not, let us enjoy our tidbits.”

Julius Cadwell and Rebekah Smith had soon built a friendship upon meeting each other. She was different from the others; she did not behave as expected of her, but how she saw fit for herself, which he admired. She was also easy to get along with which he was grateful for since he was no longer in the comfort of his home, nor surrounded by the love of his family.

“Rebekah!” This time around, both Julius and Rebekah turned their heads to see the one calling out to her.

It was the busty scullery maid named, Eliza. The scullery maid's breast bobbed about with each step. Rebekah wanted to reprimand her for being so careless as to run in that state and manner.

“It seems we've earned ourselves additional company to dine with us,” whispered an amused Julius.

“Rebekah! Rebekah!”

“What is it? Why are you running in here like a madwoman?” questioned Rebekah, observing the frenzied panting woman.

“Haven't you heard?” Eliza beamed.

“Haven't I heard what?”

“Obadiah Webb, he has returned!”

“What?!” Rebekah exclaimed in delight, hopping off the wall and nearly knocking the tray over.

“Who is this Obadiah, and why does his return excite us?” Julius glanced from one lady to the other, confused by the whole happening.

“Julius, we must leave!” With a fever of enthusiasm, she eagerly tugged at his forearm.