Chapter 3: All because of ice cream and scotch

Logan sat in his car. It had been a hell of a night. First he had seen HER again. Then he had realized exactly who Celia was. His daughter. The word felt strange in his mind, but it gave him a warm feeling when he rolled it over his tongue. How could Rory have kept her from  him? He had had a right to know.

At the party he had been numb, shocked. He had thought she was joking at first, maybe even half hoping she was. He had wanted a punch line, but only gotten the punch. He was a father. Now his numbness was wearing off.  He felt simultaneously betrayed, angry, tired, and for some reason, a little guilty. I shouldn't be the guilty one, he thought, Rory did this. But knowing that wasn't exactly true just made him hurt more. He felt like he needed to kick a tire, or yell. Tear paper. Just do something. It was as if he had felt nothing, but now he couldn't decide what to feel. Whatever it was made him feel a buzzing in his arms and made his heart race. He took a deep breath, and picked up his cell phone.

"Logan?", his sister's voice asked,"What's up?"

"I have a kid, Honor. A girl."

"Wha-what? Are you sure?"

"99.9% sure"

Silence came from the other side, then a question: " What's her name?" 

"Celia. I don't know her middle name or even if she has one."

" It's a beautiful name," she remarked.

"It is", Logan agreed. He had always like the name Cecilia, Celia was different and yet better.

Honor seemed to hesitate.

" And her last name?"

"You mean who is the mother don't you. Well, you know where I was tonight, hell you encouraged it! Put 2 and 2 together." He paused and thought over what he had just said.

"Honor....", he said slowly,"You didn't know about this did you?"

He could hear her squirm from here.

"Honor!"

"She didn't tell me or anything like that! I promise Log, I just saw Rory a few weeks ago, and her daughter....Celia...and she seemed nervous around me. She kept looking at Celia then at me and back again - but besides that you both needed to see each other again! You are perfect for each other, and you made a mistake not going to her after Odette. "

" Gee", Logan said dryly, " got any other insights and opinions into my love life for me? I had pretty much the biggest reveal there is tonight already so I am pretty sure I can take it.

"Logan, she was trying to do the right thing. You know that don't you?"

"Yeah I know", he admitted. "But it doesn't change the fact that I have had a daughter for almost 5 years!"

"No it doesn't, but at this point nothing will.  You need to decide exactly what you want here Logan. If you want a shot in hell with Rory then you will have to find a way to forgive her. and if you want to be a part of your daughter's life, then it will be  so much easier if her mother is onboard. None of this will be easy, but I am happy for you Logan."

His anger cooled as she spoke.

" I know that, but I don't know about Rory and I. I think maybe we've hurt each other too much this time."

"Don't toy with me Logan - you have a child together for Christ's sake! Figure out why you didn't go to her after Odette and FIX things!"

"I don't know why, though," he complained.

" Well I can't do the work for you bro, that's on you. But trust me. Rory and that little girl of yours - my NIECE! - are worth it. Oh, Josh is calling, I gotta go - and don't worry, not a word to the parentals."

"Hmmm. Can you get me her number?"

"I'll have it sometime tomorrow", she promised. 

"Thanks Honor", he said truthfully. 

She paused. "Anytime, little bro."

He ended the call, and drove. He had some figuring out to do.

---------------------------------------------

Rory watched Logan leave, then questioned her daughter.

What had they talked about? Had he asked about her?

After getting the details, and grabbing her now only slightly warm coffee she headed upstairs. There was a call she had to make.

She plopped on her bed and leaned back. She was so so tired.

"Finn?"

"Here, love  - what's wrong? Your voice is doing the wavy thing again."

"What wavy thing? It doesn't do a wavy thing, but that's beside the point! I told Logan about Celia."

"Oh. Well, what else did you tell him? Exactly when should I expect him to show up banging on my door, tonight, tomorrow,  or not yet?"

"Not yet. He doesn't know you know. I won't tell him unless you want me to."

"It's probably best that you don't. Not yet at least. Let him get to know Celia and if one day I let it slip over scotch, well then at least I will be ready for a brawl."

She laughed.

"Okay then. When do you think you'll be in Hartford or Nantucket again? Celie is dying  to see you again."

He laughed as well, " tell the 'bean' I will see her soon."

"Looking forward to it, goodnight Finn."

"Night love".

She ended the call and closed her eyes.

This wasn't how she had thought her night would go at all. Out of all her imagined scenarios about telling Logan this was somewhere in the far middle. Neither good nor bad. She guessed she would just have to wait until tomorrow. Somehow, she drifted off to sleep.

Below, down the stairs and in the party, Lorelai Gilmore had watched all this unfold. 

Now she confronted her mother about it.

" Mom, why was Logan here?"

"I invited him of course, I had to, he's a Huntzberger."

"Exactly, he's a Huntzberger. You know what they did to Rory."

" Yes well, Rory returned the favor didn't she? When she turned down his proposal?"

"Not even close to the same thing Mom!

" Yes well Shira apologized. And I'm not one to hold grudges. Now will you please explain what happened between them a few minutes ago? What could Rory have possibly said to make him so upset as to leave?"

Lorelai looked at her incredulously then turned toward the center of the party.

"Oh you know, probably just the usual, it was all a mistake, who'd you end up with, you're the father of my child, blah blah blah," she said nonchalantly.

"What?! oh!, OH!, my goodness!"

Lorelai laughed at her mother's shocked facial expressions, and then watched her granddaughter ride up the stairs on her husband's back.

She wondered what would have happened if Celia had just gone to bed. But she had a feeling this was good, this was progress.

She wanted her daughter to find love, and love was in the air.

Please let me know what you guys think in the comments! Any and all constructive criticism is welcome! Thanks for reading!