76: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"But then again we also figured how you would be as mad as it is if we went along. It took awhile and a lot of bickering but V kept on insisting that we stayed here and hope for the best," Joel said.

Nina and Oscar looked at them feeling surprised and to be honest slightly touched. The last time they all spoke in person like this, Nina's friends weren't coming back to Freeridge anytime soon because of the violence that happened on a regular. Now they insisted on coming even after knowing what was about to go down.

"You guys would do that for us?" Nina found herself saying as she and Oscar watched them nod. Again she felt like crying at the idea of how messed up their situation was. If they happened to be there would things be worse or better?

"Papito, Lupe," Nina leaned over to her nephew and niece. "Would it be alright if you take Bella outside for a moment? I think she might need to eat a bit. The, uhm, adults need to talk about something," she said.

As the kid's eyes pleaded for them to stay with their tia and the rest of their family, Victoria knew better. "C'mon, listen to your tia you guys," Victoria said. The two children sighed and took their dog outside. Nina waited until they were in the clear before talking.

"I don't know when else to talk about it but," she began. "There were moments where I had conversations with her, Cuchillos. I had told her how I pieced everything together, how she seemed to be involved with my family since the beginning."

"Dad, mom, even Tony," tears brimmed her eyes once again just thinking about it. The unsettling look in Cuchillos eyes. "All gone with the blood on her hands. Cortez was in on it too, but he died a the estate trying to get me out and protecting me and V. God it all just sounds so messed up."

Nina buried her face in her hands. She was tired and emotional. So much had happened in the past hours. She was happy to be home with her family and she was happy that she was reunited with Oscar. But this kind of life really wasn't for her.

Her sister and the rest of her friends grew silent as well. They had an idea of the influence this woman had with people beyond Nina's family, but they didn't realize how far deep she was in manipulating all of them since the beginning.

It was a lot to take in. The death of all the people they cared about so dearly. It really was just messed up.

"The reason why I was so mad with V about coming along and I can't seem to grasp the idea of you guys coming along was because, she killed so many people I care about as it is," she whimpered.

"She's hurt so many people I hold so close to me. I don't know what I'd do if I lost V or one of you guys, Oscar, or anyone else. And I'm so sorry for dragging you guys into all of this in any way possible," she sniffed finally lifting her head to face them.

"But regardless I am so grateful for all of you," she said looking at each of them. "For flying all across the States to be here with me or with the idea of coming to get me. Just.... thank you."

She forced herself to look at their sullen faces, the dullness of their eyes. A part of her wondered if they thought the same of her. Knowing how she was partly responsible for the sorrow they've been experiencing as of late.

She had felt a soft touch on her hand and her eyes met with Oscar's. He said nothing as they stared at each other for a moment. She had failed to notice the tears prickling in his eyes as well. The gaze he offered her was soft and comforting. It was in that moment where she allowed herself to breathe and she allowed herself to think that all this pain would soon pass as well.

That hopefully, and with time, everything would be okay among all of them.

-

"Sorry," Nina mumbled once more as she dabbed the damp cloth on Oscar's wound causing him to wince. They were given the guest room which had a bathtub in its bathroom. They were amazed at how Chivo could've afford all of this.