33: XO

XO by Beyoncé
In the darkest night hour
I'll search through the crowd
Your face is all that I see
I'll give you everything
Baby, love me lights out

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

"Fool, you makin' me fat and it ain't even Christmas yet," Oscar greeted Victoria who was at his door carrying another box of donuts.

"It's in a few days," Victoria pointed out. "May I come in?" she asked shyly.

With a nod, Oscar opens the door a little wider to let her in. Victoria sets the box down on the coffee table in their living room. "Look, I wanted to talk to you about my outburst the other day during our dinner in Brentwood," Victoria began as Oscar offered her to take a seat on the couch.

"I know, Nina told me about what happened between you and Andrew," Oscar nodded as he grabbed a share to sit across her.

"Damn it. I told that woman to let me apologize to you myself," Victoria mutters under her breath.

"V, it's no big deal what happened and you didn't have to do what you did just to defend me," Oscar shook his head. "You mind if I smoke?" he added as Victoria shook her head just before Oscar lit his cigarette.

What had happened a few days ago was that Andrew's fear got the best of him. In the middle of him and Victoria conversing in the kitchen, he had brought up Oscar's relationship with Nina. As the story goes, Andrew thought that with a girl like Nina, someone with so much potential, shouldn't be dating some hoodlum like Oscar.

It even came to a point where he had questioned Victoria's parenting skills thinking she would let the twins near someone like Oscar. He kept going on and on how someone like Oscar is dangerous. The fact that Oscar had gained Josh's respect and interest had irked him greatly.

A boy as young as Josh could've been easily influenced getting into deep shit the way Oscar did, as Andrew said.

He had even brought in Nina to that conversation, with her dating a gangster like Oscar puts her in danger. With Victoria being Nina's sister also puts her in the line of fire. If Nina were to be influenced into her boyfriend's gang what happens then? Andrew refused to be affiliated with such people.

This caused Victoria to snap back at Andrew. She told him that Oscar has never brought harm to her and her family and that Oscar is a great father figure to the twins. She snapped at how a privileged man like him could simply profile him and the rest of their family just like that.

Though Andrew kept stating that he was only protecting his family because, Victoria couldn't help but point out the fact that Oscar had gotten the attention of his kids without even trying. She pointed out his jealousy which lead him to make snarky comments about Oscar which she could no longer repeat. He looked like a complete dick and Victoria had enough.

She defended Oscar and his relationship with her sister. In the end, she clearly did not this kind of judgement from a man who had no idea what life was actually like from where they were from.

However, she agreed with Andrew on one thing. Victoria no longer wanted to be affiliated with people like him.

"The thing is I needed to defend you. I wanted to," Victoria corrected catching Oscar's attention. "I don't think if you know, Oscar, but family means a lot to me."

"With what happened to our dad and then the twins coming into our lives then our mom's death... I can't help but get really attached to the people Nina and I bring into our lives. When you were gone, we would take Cesar in but of course you already knew about that," Victoria began.