5: Another Funeral

CHAPTER FIVE

As promised, Nina flew back to LA by Spring Break. Though it was just for a short while, she was happy that she was able to spend some quality time with her family. She was even able to check on Cesar especially with his brother given a four year sentence in prison.

What made her the happiest during that time was the birth of her nephew and niece. They were born premature which caused their entire family to panic for a bit considering all the health risks. It took some time but the babies were in good health after a few weeks.

It was now her finals period in MIT and she didn't know what hell was until this moment. She definitely earned where she needed to be and she had zero plans on backing down on that. Her opponents in the course were just as good and smart as her, if not better than her.

After all those nights studying and crying with how stressful the past weeks were, she was determined to get this over and done with. Then it's back to her family.

"You have one hour remaining," her professor announced which followed a strain of huffs and whispering groans. She had a long way to go with this exam.

Moments later, the dean's secretary barges into the hall causing everyone to look up for a moment just before going back to the destruction that is the exam. The secretary whispers something into the professors ear. All of a sudden the professor calls Nina's attention.

"Nina Garcia," he announces and all of a sudden all eyes were on her. "You're wanted in the dean's office."

Nina's eyebrows furrow as she made her way to the front of the hall. "I'm sorry professor. I'm not done with my exam," she informs before turning to the secretary. "Can this wait?"

"I'm afraid it's rather urgent," the secretary said rather disheartened.

"What's going on?" Nina asks confused.

"Follow the secretary into the dean's office," her professor said taking her exam. "You can come back and finish this when you're done," he adds taking her test paper.

The secretary gives Nina an encouraging nod before she leads her to the dean's office.

"Dean Goldberg," Nina greets as she noticed he was on the phone with someone. "Did I do something wrong?" she asks before she is told take a seat.

The dean hands her the phone making her confused and slightly panicked than ever before. "You might want to take this."

Nina slowly reaches out for the phone and puts it up to her ear. "Hello?"

"Nina?"

She recognizes her sister's voice sounding slight cracked and congested like she was crying. "V? Is everything okay? What's going on?"

"It's mom."

Nina never went back to finish the exam. After that phone call she ran to her dorm to pack and get on the earliest flight back to LA. She never set foot back in MIT ever since.

-

Detective MariCarmen Gloriana Garcia-Santiago died in a car crash trying to catch a group of perps attempting to pull off a heist not far from Freeridge. It was in the middle of a sting until a large vehicle had crashed into the squad car she was in. The impact on her squad car caused whiplash meaning she barely made it to the hospital.

One of the officers from the precinct dropped by their house to deliver the sad news. Victoria couldn't contact Nina knowing she was in the middle of final exam. After breaking the news to her sister they reunited after a couple of hours.