13: Paint Job

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

A few days pass since Nina's kiss incident with Oscar in her house. She tried to avoid Oscar after what happened but their routine continued with him bringing her to her work and with him dropping by the store every now and then.

They never really spoke about it ever since. Though she would notice Oscar smiling more and teasing her a little when it came to her. Nina hated it. She hated how it just seemed to be adding to the feelings she wanted gone.

She liked Oscar. She really did. In fact she couldn't stop thinking about him and their kiss and all these small moments with him. But if she were to get together with him, she would have to bear the fact he was a Santo. He wasn't just a Santo. He was the fucking head of everything.

Could she be ready to bear that?

Living across the Santos house meant she got to know some of them. And she meant it when she would say that they all seem to be great people who cared a lot about their families and their block. But most of the things they did were done in secret. If that were to come to light she wouldn't know if she could handle it.

But what terrified her more was that she was seeing Oscar more than just a Santo. She was seeing Oscar. A man who seemed to care for her and his brother and everything else. She was catching feelings for him. And they were bad. But she had yet to meet Spooky.

Was she even ready to get to know Spooky?

Though it took her awhile to realize that Oscar and Spooky were just one person. Another question was, is she even ready to take in him in with all the good and all the bad?

"What's on your mind this time, mamas?" Oscar asked leaning on the cashier counter.

Again with that nickname. It was growing on her. It made her fall for him even more and he didn't even know it. "Nothing, I just got a tutorial session to deal with later," she shrugged avoiding eye contact.

"Where?"

"Some teens in Brentwood."

"Aight, what time?"

"3:00pm but I'm really fine with just taking the bus-"

"Suddenly you're tired of having me around?" He asked in a tone she couldn't decipher making her look up at him. "I'm messing with you. Are you okay?"

She blinked her eyes at him. "Yea. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Yo, Spooky," one of the Santos barges in and motioning his head meaning they had business.

"Alright mamas I gotta bounce I'll see you later?" He asked before he could go but Nina only hummed a response. Oscar was hesitant on leaving ad he noticed Nina's behavior but he did so anyway.

A few hours passed and when Oscar returned to the bodega Nina was already gone. He tried texting her but she wasn't replying. He tried calling but she didn't pay any attention either. With that done he drove to Brentwood, at the same house  where he picked her up the first time around.

He waited and waited until he spotted Nina from the window. Good to know she was still there but when her session had finished and she left the house she didn't exactly seem happy to see him.

Oscar had a stoic expression on his face while Nina got in the car willingly. "¿Por qué no me esperaste?" He asked with a rather aggressive undertone.

"They wanted to start a little early so I went ahead of time as I promised," she explained as she avoided eye contact with him. Just like that he knew that there was something wrong. She'd usually take glances or look at him eventually.