58: Scared of the Dark

Start from the beginning

"Oscar, if this is what I said about Cesar," she began softly as she shook her head. "You would never have done what you did if you didn't have to," she concluded.

"With what happened to me four- five years ago that lead me to the twins, the Santos was there for me. When Nina and I lost our mom, the Santos was there for both of us," she nodded. "I don't have to live in Freeridge for my entire life to know what you guys do ain't as easy as it seems. The shit you guys do can be too complicated but you do what you gotta do for protection."

"Ending the truce was a messed up decision but after what they did to Nina? I don't even understand how you guys have been dealing some sort of peace with them for the past months. Let alone the past years," her eyes began to water with the feeling of anger boiling inside her.

"I don't know what kind of code they deal with, but jumping on an innocent? Nina had nothing to do with the truce ending but they still went after her," a tear rolled down her cheek. "They pulled several guns on her, Oscar. If she wasn't armed or if she didn't do what she did to protect herself I-I-I w-wouldn't know w-what could have h-happened."

As she began to breakdown Oscar set down his cup on the other seat to pull Victoria in for a hug. "Nina spent, sleepless nights to prove that they did what they did to Tony. I admit I may have doubted her in the first place but my sister isn't one to make those things up without the proper context," she said through her tears.

"They shot Tony. An unarmed innocent who doesn't even live in Freeridge. They would have nothing against him. They don't even know him!  How could they-"

"Shhhh," Oscar whispers to her, rubbing her back up and down as he did so.

"One of the reason why Lil' Ricky started the Santos was to fight back. Put an end to what those pinches Prophet$ started," he shook his head slowly. "But no matter what we do those sons of bitches never learn."

"After what they did to Nina? I'm not letting them get away with this so easily," his anger was beginning to fuel him once more. If there was something just as strong as his love for his family, it would've been his rage. One of the reasons why Oscar got his respect as Spooky was how he acted on his rage.

His rage didn't make him reckless, it made him direct. It made him smart with crazy focus. He knew what to do when he wanted to do it. With his rage he made things happen. At one point it had made him fearless. But he hadn't really known what weakness was until it came to his brother and Nina.

"But right now we gotta focus on Nina," he tells her softly as he tried to compose himself. "She's a strong girl. Everything is going to be okay," he said it mainly to himself knowing he needed that reminder as well.

Victoria nodded. "You don't gotta tell me twice," she sniffed pulling away from him.

"One of the reasons why I was watching the tapes again was because I really couldn't believe my eyes," she wiped away her tears to look at her phone. "I can't believe she took on 10 Prophet$ like that. Took out 9 out of 10 and took Marcus to actually knock her down."

"If I'm being honest, I thought I didn't recognize her. A girl who would get guilty telling someone off took out 9 out of 10 Prophet$ who were all armed with guns," she mused with a sigh and then sniffing again. "It's amazing how she got out of there alive."

"Nina, was always smart. That's what made her such a badass," Oscar found himself saying as he looked over to Victoria. He knew Nina could fight but to move like she'd been professionally trained? That was something unexpected.

"So it's true then that you guys have been training... like this? Since you guys were kids?" he found himself asking Victoria.

"It was actually our mom's idea that we take Judo classes when we were kids, which eventually turned into mixed martial arts growing up. She got backed up by our dad and then he taught us how to hold a gun and shoot when we were old enough," she explained with a sniff.