46: Grow Up and Be Kids

Começar do início

"Hey, don't go soft on me," Oscar said softly as he wiped away her tears with the pad of his thumb. "It's no big deal, Nina," he smiled a little as he looked into her big brown eyes.

Their closeness made his heart race as they looked at each other a certain way. It only made things a little harder for Oscar because he knew he had to stay away.

His hand falls to his side as he steps away from her and makes his way to his closet. "I know the homies got you a shit ton of gifts and I hope I'm not too late to give mine," he said reaching in for a small box from the upper shelf of his closet.

Nina watched as he walked back to her and handed her a small black box that was the size of her hand. Oscar nodded as a gesture to make her open the box. Her hands traced over the velvet lining of the box and her mouth falls open the moment she opens it.

He knew how much she loved necklaces. With that, he got her a necklace with a small cross pendant that complimented the one he wore everyday. But something else was hanging next to the cross. It was a ring. A promise ring that had a gold and white lining and little make shift diamonds surrounding the band. It's interior read: mi vida, mi amor going around the band. Nina's heart had melted once more.

"Oscar its beautiful," she said breathlessly as her fingers traced it's intricate design.

"I got it the same day I had the locket made," he explained. "We joked about getting married so much I figured I'd get you a promise ring that day," he added as Nina looked up to him in shock and amazement.

"But then you know what happened next," he laughed a little at his own mistake but Nina kept looking at him and it was as if that mistake never existed. It was as if they had been together up until now and everything was okay between them.

"I'm a little tipsy and I'm a little emotional and I so badly want to kiss you right now," Nina admits causing Oscar to look back into her eyes.

"I'll probably get even more drunk later and I would forget all of this. But is it a weird time to say that I missed you? Not even one greeting from you and then all of a sudden you gift me with a promise ring? And turns out you've been plotting against me for my birthday-"

"Nina," Oscar cut Nina off from her ramble. He knew she was going to say something that would instantly change things between the two of them. He couldn't let that happen. It was for her own good.

"When you asked for space, for both of us, it got me thinking," Oscar began. "Sad Eyes told me that maybe when we're both okay we would get back together. And then we would live the life we always dreamed of."

"W-what are you trying to say?" Nina shook her head a little but Oscar suddenly tore his eyes away from her.

He closed his eyes for a second as he took a deep breath. "Nina, I don't think we should get back together."

Nina furrowed her eyebrows at him. "Oh, I wasn't insinuating that we get back together now-"

"No I mean I don't think we should get back together, ever," he clarified as Nina took a step back from him.

"W-where is this coming from?" Nina stammered. "If this is because of Tony? What happened awhile ago on the road was nothing-"

"I know he's in love with you and I know that kiss you guys had wasn't like anything else," Oscar's voice was dark but it wasn't because he was angry.

Nina opened her mouth to say something but Oscar had beat her to it again. "I see the way he looks at you. I know this because its the same way you look at me and you shouldn't be looking at me like that. You shouldn't be with someone like me."