A Moral Obligation

Aaaaahh I'm really sorry guys, I havn't posted in so long. I really have so excuse either, since I have a bunch of it pre-written. Anyway, enjoy this bit, and I hope you all had a very merry Christmas, or happy hanukah, or whatever you celebrate. 
I'll try to update, soon, but no promises. ;)

Peter plopped himself down on a crimson colored cushioned chair in the vice principal’s office, followed by Uncle Ben. Peter then saw Mr. Carlton take a seat across from them. A name display with golden letters reading: Mr. James Carlton, Vice Principal was visible in the middle of the mahogany desk. Peter also noticed pictures, showing what he guessed was Mr. Carlton’s family, in frames on the table. Peter looked up at Mr. Carlton when he cleared his throat.

            Peter had to sit through the agonizing conversation that his uncle was having with the vice principal, and while he could hear annoyance in Mr. Carlton’s voice, he could hear disappointment in his uncle’s. Peter just looked down at his feet.

///

They walked out of the office and into the hall. Uncle Ben still had a disappointed look to his face. He was silent. So was Peter. Until his uncle turned to face him.

            “Peter, I expected better from you. Did you or did you not humiliate that boy?” Uncle Ben glared at him. Peter looked at his feet again.

            “Yes.” He said, almost inaudibly, and looked at his uncle. “But,” He said a bit louder. “HE deserved it.”

            “He did, did he?” Peter nodded. “Is he the one who did that to you?” Uncle Ben pointed at Peter’s bruised lip. Peter nodded again, but not so enthusiastically.

            “But–“

            “No, listen to me Peter. My brother and I, your father, went by a saying, a motto at that. He lived by: With great power, comes great responsibility. Do you know what that means?”

            “Uh…”

            “It means that if you can do something good, you also have the moral obligation to do so. That also means that if you have the power to do something bad, you have the moral obligation not to do that thing. That includes fighting a bully.” Uncle Ben looked Peter straight in the eye when he said this.

            “But I was just standing up for myself.” Peter retorted.

            “Peter, there is a difference between standing up for yourself and fighting back.” Ben looked over Peter’s shoulder. He then smiled. “Your girlfriend’s over there.” Peter rolled his eyes and looked back. Gwen was standing there clutching a book to her chest.

            “Well, I better get going, luckily I happened to be on my lunch break for work, but have to get back. And don’t get yourself into any more trouble.” Uncle Ben turned and left. Peter waved goodbye and snuck his waving hand down to nervously scratch his neck. Peter turned to Gwen once more.

            “He’s a little crazy, don’t listen to him.” Gwen giggled.

            “I’ll keep that in mind.” She said. They awkwardly shuffled around. “Soooo, you didn’t get expelled, did you?”

            “No, no of course not, I got community service.” Peter chuckled.

            “Well, I kinda just wanted to see how you were doing, you have been acting a little odd lately…”

            “Really? I hadn’t noticed.” He said sarcastically.

            “Seriously, Peter. Be careful. And, I get that he deserved it and all, I just, I just don’t want you to turn into, him.” Gwen bit her lip. Peter nodded. “Yeah, uh, I had better go,” She waved and turned to leave but then turned back to Peter completing a 360. “Wait, um, I was going to ask you, uh, do you like branzino?”

            “Do I like what?”

            “It’s uh, it’s fish. I was wondering if maybe you wanted to come over for dinner on Saturday.” She raised her eyebrows and bit her lip. Peter nodded.

            “Yeah, yeah that would be, that would be fun.”

            “Yeah, I wanted to return the favor, since your aunt and uncle let me stay for dinner, and I thought you might want to meet my family.”

            “Yeah, definitely.” Peter grinned.

            “Yeah.” Gwen said, looking at Peter and zoning out for a second. “Well,” She said, shaking her head. “I guess I’ll see ya.”

            “See ya.” Peter gave a wave as he turned around, Gwen doing the same. They both looked over their shoulders a couple times, blushing when they made eye contact.

            Peter stepped out of the school. Since it was a half day School got out early, and the one period that he had after lunch he had missed. Peter then almost bumped right into MJ, if he hadn’t felt a vibration in his neck a second before.

            “Hey Pete,” she said, turning to him.

            “Hi MJ.”

            “That was quite the lunch.” She said as they started walking home. “It really was an amazing thing you did there. Standing up to Flash. It was stupid, and I don’t know how you did it, but it was amazing.” Peter nodded.

            “Yeah, honestly I’m kinda surprised myself…” He said.

            “Are you sure you’re ok?” She asked with a look of concern on her face.

            “It’s ok, I’m fine, you don’t need to worry.” Peter said, but he could tell that MJ still wasn’t satisfied. They walked home, the whole way Peter still trying to assure MJ that he was ok and everything was normal while all she was doing was making all the possible inquiries that she could think of. Peter was relieved when he got to his house, just wanting to have some time to himself, some time to just be… normal.

But we all know, that being Peter Parker, that is never going to happen.