Mary Jane

“Mr. Parker, why is it every time?” Mr. Garret asked as Peter stepped into the room. The bell had rung a second earlier.

            “Well, to be fair Mr. Garret, I did get here before the bell.” Peter tried to reason, but as he saw the expression on his teachers face, he talked quieter.

            “The late bell, Mr. Parker. Now please take a seat.” Peter started toward his usual seat at the back of the class, but noticed that it was no longer empty. There, in that seat, sat Mary Jane Watson. Peter turned back to Mr. Garret, who was starting the lesson.

            “Um, excuse me, sir? There are no seats remaining.” Peter motioned to the class which, in fact, with MJ’s presence, was completely full. Peter still wasn’t sure why she was here.

            “Oh yes, I forgot to mention. Class, we have a new student.” He really didn’t need to say this, for everyone was already staring at her. “This is Mary Jane, and she got moved up from the common core classes. And as for you, Mr. Parker, you will need to retrieve the desk and chair in the back of the room that is often used for TA work. Now, back to the growth and structure of the Latin language…” Peter found the empty desk and chair in the back of the classroom and moved them with little effort. That’s strange. Peter placed it behind MJ’s new desk, so that he could talk to her.

            “Hey, MJ!” Peter whisper yelled. MJ turned around and adapted a small smile.

            “Hi Peter. Sorry for taking your spot. I figured that everyone was here and I thought that this spot was for me…” She looked a bit guilty.

            “That’s ok. So, I heard you moved up? Usually someone doesn’t change classes after the school year starts.” Peter looked at MJ with a confused look.

            “Well, my teacher said that I was doing really well, and that the work seemed too easy for me. Which, it was. So he moved me. He also said that he wanted to get me away from all of the idiots.” She giggled when she said that and Peter snickered.

            “No kidding. Well, welcome to the class, honestly I don’t think we’ve really done anything. Well, no, we have done a lot, it’s just that, it seems as if Mr. Garret teaches a different subject each day.” MJ giggled at that. “Hey, what teacher did you have previously?” Mary Jane opened her mouth to answer, but Mr. Garret interrupted.

            “Ms. Watson, this is your first warning. Turn around. There is no talking when the teacher is teaching. All of you kids should have learnt that in the second grade.” Mr. Garret turned back to the board. MJ turned around in her seat, only to turn around again and look at Peter.

            “I’ll talk to you more at lunch. Save me a seat?” She asked. Peter nodded with a smile. She turned around and listened to the teacher’s lectures. Peter just thought to himself. He had forgotten about that side of MJ. The fun, easy to talk to, side of MJ. He remembered when they were in middle school. They used to hang out all the time. Maybe things could turn around to how they used to be… 

Hi. Yeah, this chapter is rather short, but i'll post again soon. Thanks for all of the votes and comments, i'm really glad you guys are enjoying this story :) 

Have a nice day everyone.