15: Miss Independent

Start from the beginning

Nina couldn't help but smile a little seeing that the twins were so casual with Oscar and the fact that Oscar was so casual with kids too. It was really cute. He seemed so natural with them, well then again he did raise Cesar for most of his life.

"A-and I'm sorry for about what happened in the hallway awhile ago. You know, when Victoria came in and everything," Nina sighed closing her eyes. Flashbacks of him kissing her started playing instantly and she opens her eyes again.

"You don't have to apologize for it," Oscar replied. "What happened was... I don't know. I shouldn't have kissed you. I'm sorry," he added hurriedly and Nina found a stinging feeling in her chest.

She was just so confused but she didn't even know what to say or ask him. "I-it's fine, Oscar," Nina replied softly. It wasn't until the line went quiet for a few seconds. He regrets the kiss. Do I regret the kiss?

"A-and all those other times-"

"I-it's fine, Oscar. Really," Nina closed her eyes for a moment hearing him apologize. She understood why he was sorry for it. But the idea of him regretting those kisses stung a little.

Oscar furrowed his eyebrows. Nina wasn't exactly the type to call. "D-do you need a ride for tomorrow?"

"Well not it's not like you'd listen to me if I said no," Nina answered lightly before hearing Oscar chuckle on the other end. "Pero no. V and I are doing this girl's day out tomorrow to make up for her shitty date."

"Is that all? You just wanted to thank me and apologize?" He asked her softly as Nina hummed in response. "You could've just texted me," he chuckled jokingly.

"I guess I just felt like calling you," Nina admits and again the line went silent. What the hell am I doing? "Oscar?" she called out to him softly

She hears him hum again. "Are we good? Like, are we okay?" She found herself asking.

I feel like I should be asking you that, Oscar thought. He felt like he kept crossing lines. Lines he shouldn't even go over. He didn't even know if Nina liked being kissed. Giving her rides and spending time were one thing but kissing her like that? He knew he shouldn't be doing that shit. And yet here she's the one apologizing.

"Yea. We're good, princesa," Oscar replied lightly into the phone and small smile he forced on his lips. He began to imagine what she looked like as the line went silent again. She'd be lying flat on the bed, her eyes gazing up at her ceiling. Those brown eyes. She'd look intently on something as her mind would start to go places.

Nina was thinking the same. She imagined him laying on his bed, a hand behind his head as he looked at his ceiling. His eyebrows would be furrowed and his beautiful brown eyes would start to go dark as he would go into deep thought. But his gaze would soften every now and then. Every time he'd look at her.

"Oscar, are you still there?" she called out once more. "Y-yea, Nina. I'm here," he answered. They'd been quiet for awhile she thought he had fallen asleep.

"I'm gonna put down the phone now. I gotta be up early tomorrow," she said with a ghostly smile on her face as she suddenly thought of him once more. "Goodnight, Oscar."

He found himself smiling too. "Goodnight, Nina."

-

Like always Oscar was on his front lawn with some of the cholos and cholas. This time, it was one of those rare moments with Cesar seated on the ratchet couch outside drinking a bottle of whatever. Oscar watched Victoria and Nina get into their car dressed as if they were going to the gym.