How They React to Seeing a Public Breakup

Sal: One day, you and Sal were sitting on a blanket in the park on a coffee date. During these dates you often would people-watch, as it is a very common thing to do in NYC. There are a ton of different people who come through parks and you try to take in everything that you can. On most days, the people are happy and cheerful. You two like to think out loud about where the people are going, what they do for a living, if they have kids, and other things in that realm. Sometimes you guys come up with funny scenarios about the people who walk very fast as if they are on a mission.

You two saw another couple sitting on a blanket a little ways away from you two. The woman sat with her arms crossed, indicating that she was upset. The man with her paid no attention to her. You and Sal began to come up with a storyline for the couple. At first it started as a silly argument about not knowing the woman's favorite character on a tv show. Eventually, their voices got louder and the woman's voice started to break.

"That doesn't look good," you say to Sal.

"Not at all."

In the distance you heard the woman's voice get even louder. You couldn't make out the words, but the tone in her voice screamed frustration. She began to talk with her hands and so did the man. You get worried and you hoped that nothing bad happened to either of them. 

Out of nowhere, the man gets up and leaves, and shouts, "I'm done and so are we!" to the woman he was with. He threw his water bottle on the ground when he stood up. He walked down the street, presumably to catch the subway and get far away. 

"Holy sh*t," Sal says quietly. The girl begins to cry and she is sitting on the grass with her hands covering her face. After a few minutes, she seems to only be crying more. You felt terrible and you felt compelled to help her.

"I'm going to see if she's okay. I feel really bad for her." You say to Sal, "I will be right back."

You go and comfort the young woman and you make her smile. You offer her support and she is very appreciative. You sit and talk with her to make sure she calms down before leaving to go anywhere. She tells you that he got up and left after she told him that she was pregnant. You congratulated the woman. 

Despite not being a mom, you knew a lot about motherhood due to being a nurse on the labor and delivery unit at the hospital. She looked nervous and scared so you wanted to introduce yourself to her.

"I'm y/n and I am a labor and delivery nurse at New York Presbyterian in Lower Manhattan," you told her.  

"My name is Erica. Thank you so much ma'am, you are too sweet."

You decided to give her your phone number that way she could have someone to talk to if she wanted help or just someone to listen to how she felt that day. She thanked you many more times and then she requested that she be given a few minutes by herself so she could prepare her thoughts and call her sister. You respected her wishes.

After talking to her, you return back to Sal. 

"That was very sweet of you to do y/n, you are a pure soul. That guy was a jerk to do that in public like that. I hope she finds someone who treats her better."

"Thank you. I'm all for women supporting women. I'm going to try my hardest to uplift other women. I think I was the perfect person to help her too"

"How so?"

"She's pregnant."

"Oh my god! Is that why they broke up? Did you give her your info so she can ask questions?"

"Yes and yes."

"God that's a real sh**ty reason to break up with someone. He never gave her the chance to say how she felt," Sal commented.