"I'm sorry for wanting my son to be at my wedding!" I heard Mom yell. No, please, not again; not anymore.

"That was a lot of info for one conversation. Don't you think so?" Dad said calmly.

"He's seventeen!! I thought he could handle it," she counters.

"You remember how he took the divorce to begin with. Do you not care about his feelings? How maybe he's not moving into this different life as well as you are!" He was starting to yell too, but I could hear the strain of trying to keep calm.

"It's been a year! He should've moved on from that by now!" I lost it.

I grabbed my backpack, my skateboard, and got some things together. I knew they'd hear if I started my car, so I threw my skateboard out the window and started climbing down the nearby tree. I didn't leave a note saying I was leaving and frankly didn't care.

Mike
"You know what? Forget this stupid argument! I'm going to check on Ricky," I say. I slowly go up the stairs and knock on the door. "Ricky? You ok, bud?" There was no answer. I knock one more time before ultimately deciding to go in. "Ric-" I stop when I see he's not here. "Ricky?!" I was hoping he'd come out of the bathroom or something. I went down the hall and opened each door until I reached the end. "Shit, where'd he go?" I go downstairs to see if he somehow slipped past me. "Did Ricky come down here?" I ask them. They look at me with confusion.

"No, is he not in his room?" Todd asked.

"No, he's not in the house," I say, getting my phone out. I quickly sent him around ten texts and called twice. Nothing.

"Who are you calling?" Lynne asked.

"The women in my son's life that actually care about him," I say sternly. I see her shocked expression before I go on the back porch. My heart is beating out of my chest so fast. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else heard it. "C'mon, c'mon, pick up," I say. The ringing coming through the phone is killing me.

"Hello?" I finally hear.

"Carol! Is Ricky at your house by chance?"

"No, why? He already brought Nini back."

"Because he's nowhere here, and I don't know where he's gone."

"Why'd he leave?"

"Lynne and Todd came, unannounced, and gave us some pretty big news."

"Oh, that poor boy. Don't worry, we'll keep a lookout for him."

"Thank you."

3rd POV
"What was that about?" Dana asked. Carol turned around and sighed.

"Ricky's missing. Lynne and Todd showed up unexpectedly and said some things. He left without telling Mike where he was going, and he's worried," Carol explained.

"That boy has gone through too much. Should we tell Nini?"

"Tell Nini what?" Both women looked up and saw their daughter at the top of the stairs.

"How long have you been standing there?" Dana asked.

"Long enough to know you guys are hiding something," she said, slowly coming down the stairs. Carol and Dana just looked at each other, not sure what to say. However, they knew their daughter wouldn't let this go.

"Nini, something's happened with Ricky." They watched as her eyes went wide with confusion and concern.

"What?"

"His mom and Todd showed up and said some stuff. He ran out and Mike doesn't know where he is."

"I'm gonna go try to call him." She ran up to her room to get her phone.

Nini
"C'mon, Ricky, pick up," I said anxiously. Voicemail. I called five more times before stopping. "Screw it." I grab my shoes and go outside. "Bye, Moms, I'm going to look for Ricky!" I shout before leaving. I didn't give them time to tell me otherwise. I'm running down the sidewalk to the old playground we would always go to when we were younger. When I get to the playground, it's empty. "God, Ricky, where are you?"

Ricky
My eyes flutter open, and I feel something on my back. I turn over and see a squirrel crawling on me. "Jesus!" I shake it off, look at my surroundings, and remember what happened in the past few hours. My mom is getting married and pregnant. I left my house and fell asleep in some park many streets from my house. Am I sunburned through my shirt; how is that even possible?

My face is probably red from the sun. I have no idea how long I've been out here; maybe a few hours judging from the fact the sun is setting. I get my backpack and skateboard and start riding around, looking at my surroundings. Surely by now, I'd like to think my parents have noticed I'm gone. I turned off my phone the moment I left to avoid hearing from them. I know my dad didn't do anything wrong, but I didn't want to hear him ask me to come home right now.

Shit, what if Nini somehow found out? I get off my skateboard and turn on my phone. Missed texts and calls started to slowly come in.

 Missed texts and calls started to slowly come in

Shit, the full name

Shit, the full name. The full, full name. Thank god my read receipts are off. I know she's worried, but I wanted some alone time for a bit. I read her texts then immediately turn my phone back off.

I get back on my board and mindlessly ride around. I'm just going around in circles and through neighborhoods for about twenty minutes before coming to a familiar house.

I get off my board and debate knocking or not. Screw it; I walk up the steps and knock. "Ricky," she says, quite surprised, "it's good to see you. Please, come in."

"Thanks, Emily."

🍪🍪🍪

Part 2??

Congratulations, you made it through the first of many cringy stories!

I've said this before in 3 Years, but I don't like Lynne. She needs a major apology scene in season two; a simple sorry ain't gonna cut it.

I reread this so many times before publishing😅

Don't forget to leave suggestions for other stories (preferably Rini because I find that easiest) along with ideas for a proper title for this book!! (I really need help with book titles.)

1475 words

Published May 8th, 2021