Chapter 19

Medea Barret

Chapter 19

What did she mean by she knew me?! I had never encountered Aderyn's mother before. Now, the reason for Aderyn's cynical nature showed its ugly face. This woman was blotchy and skeletal. For some reason, I hated her with a burning passion.

"How do you know me, miss?" I said.

"You remind me of Daniel Honeycutt, my old childhood bully," Aderyn's mom said.

"Who!?" I said.

"Here we go again," Aderyn sighed.

Aderyn's mom descended into a full-on tirade. The short of it was this mess of details that I tried to understand.

Daniel Honeycutt seemed to be Aderyn's mom equivalent of me. He had somehow made Aderyn's mom as screwed up as she was. It was through a sheer amount of bullying and manipulation that she became insane. I honestly felt bad for her.

After the speech, Aderyn walked me outside.

"My Mom's crazy right?" Aderyn said.

"Yeah," I said.

"I can't wait to get out of this town," she told me.

"What would you do?" I asked.

"I want to be a social worker," she said.

"Why?" I asked.

"I was constantly hurt by bullies as a kid, I want to protect others from people like that," Aderyn smiled.

"You're still a kid!" I smiled.

"I'll be an adult before I know it and you'll be too," she responded.

Now I saw why she was so tense. Everyone had been hurting her including me. I could never tell her who I really was. As I went back home, I could care less about my father's scolding. As long as Aderyn would be comfortable, I would be fine.