Chapter Six: Valentine's Day

"He gave you tickets to Deathstar Emperor?"

Rose had practically screamed the words down the phone and Rey had held her handset a foot from her ear in a vain attempt to preserve her hearing.

"Four, front row," she said once the pitch of Rose's squeal had descended from a level that only dogs could hear.

"FOUR?" Rey winced again. Tickets to the hottest band in the world right now were like gold dust and everyone in the office had been desperate to get their hands on them.

"Calm down. It means I can take three friends..."

"I had better be among them or we are over, Smith!"

"Rose, Rose," Rey managed amid her laughter. Rose had turned fierce but there was never any way she would have left her best friend at home. "You , me, Finn and Poe..."

"Or you, Secret Admirer, me and Hux," Rose suggested, suddenly serious. Rey sighed and chewed her fingernail.

"Depends whether he is a complete ass," she sighed and then her face fell. "I mean, if I hate him, do I have to give back the gifts?"

"Are you KIDDING?" Rose scolded her. "The only gift you ever hand back is an engagement ring when you break it off...and then not always..."

"But..."

"His presents were given to you with no expectation," Rose reminded her. "So accept them in the same spirit. But remember-tomorrow is the big day. So you need to look your best and best prepared for anything!" Rey rolled her eyes.

"I'm still not expecting anything," she said warily. "That way you don't get disappointed."

"Or you could be pleasantly surprised," Rose teased her. "I'll send you pictures of my outfit for tomorrow night..." Rey sighed for she had an assignment to finish.

"I can't wait," she sighed but Rose wasn't fooled.

"I'll leave you to finish your assignment once I do," she promised. "But just remember-he could be the man of your dreams."

-o0o-

Somehow, despite feeling anxious and running on four hours sleep, Rey had submitted her assignment, showered and dressed in a sleek navy blue fitted dress with a contrasting brown leather belt, navy heels and pale green cardigan, her hair swept into a neat single asymmetrical bun and arrived early. In fact she was at work half an hour earlier than usual and none of her friends had made it in. Thankfully, the office was devoid of any hearts, cards or any other nauseatingly romantic symbols of the season. Hanging her coat up and stowing her salad in the fridge, she sat at her desk and sighed.

There was an envelope and a small gold-wrapped box with a red bow on top sitting on her desk. The familiar gold writing was on the pink envelope and she stared at it as if it was some sort of explosive. Quietly she logged onto her emails and then glanced at the envelope again before giving a huge groan and opening it. She knew that Rose would prise it open and check inside if she knew she had been ignoring it for more than ten seconds.

It was heavier than she expected so she opened the flap and slid out the thick card, then inspected it. It was classy, clearly expensive and tasteful containing a sweet poem about love. Below there was a message in golden pen:

Some people are going to reject you because you shine too bright for them and that's okay-keep shining.

Be my Valentine

Tonight 7.30pm at the New Republic- table is in your name

Her eyes widened and she felt as if the wind had been knocked out of her. Unconsciously, she covered her mouth. Then she reread the words and gave a small smile. Looking up and checking the office was still empty, she slid the card and envelope into her bag before turning her attentions to the box. This time, aware of the time, she ripped the paper off to find a dark blue jewellers box. She sighed and stared and then, very carefully, opened the box to reveal a silver and gold stylised sun on a fine double silver chain. Tiny crystals shimmered on the rays of the sun. Her lips parted in shocked and then she carefully removed it from the box, inspecting it on her hand and smiling.