Chapter Five: A Change Of Heart

Chapter Five: Change of heart

There was no parcel as Rey arrived at her desk on the day before Valentine's and though she had been embarrassed by the gifts and the attention they garnered, she was also enjoying being made to feel special. She checked her desk and underneath-in case it had slipped off-but there was no sign. Pressing her lips together, she took off her scarf and coat and hung them up, then went back to her desk and logged in, opening her emails and trying to ignore the others.

She could hear Poe nudging Finn and the two whispering just loudly enough to be distracting but not loudly enough for her to hear what they were saying. Zorii was tapping away and Rose was in the kitchen, returning with an emergency packet caramel latte for her. Finally, Rey looked up when her mug was placed firmly by her mouse and Rose scooched her chair closer.

"Are you okay?" she asked and Rey nodded. She gave a wan smile.

"It was nice while it lasted but let's be honest-why would anyone actually want to go out with me?" she said quietly. Rose rested her hand on Rey's arm, the grip gentle but reassuring.

"Rey-you're a wonderful person," she reassured her friend. "I'm sure your secret admirer is just late. Maybe he has something special planned. Or he'll come himself and deliver it to you."

"Or there is no parcel and that was it," Rey cut in and then she sighed. "But the gifts he gave me were thoughtful and wonderful to receive, even though I was embarrassed at how much he seems to know about me."

"Simple, girl," Jannah told her. "He's been crushing on you and has been watching you for some time." Rey considered this for a moment and then shook her head.

"Look-since I spent most of my time in this office, it would need to be someone here to observe me. And in this office there are four men-Poe and Finn are into each other, Hux is clearly into Rose and Ren..." She shook her head. "I don't think so."

"You sure?" Rose teased her. "He talks to you in sentences and actually says thank you to you." Rey threw her arms up.

"Well, there's your answer then!" she said sarcastically. "Except lover boy is in his office already and there is no gift so...it can't be him. My date with Netflix still looks like a good bet." Rose gently pushed the mug towards her.

"Don't give up hope yet," she told her friend. "I am certain it's a mistake and you are still going to have a very special Valentine."

-o0o-

"What happened?" Hux was scowled at him and Kylo tried to ignore him-difficult when he had a thumping migraine from lack of sleep and far too much caffeine. He tried to focus on his screen and the projections for the next quarter from accounts.

"I decided it was a mistake," he said briskly.

"A mistake?"

"A distraction." Hux stared at him and sat heavily in the chair, his arms folded.

"Really?"

"Yes." Finally Kylo looked up and his broad shoulders sagged. He was paler than usual and his dark eyes weren't happy but there was the determined set to his jaw. "I realised what we were doing was wrong."

"And how exactly?" Hux pressed him. Finally he sighed as he sat back in his chair.

"You are aware that Rey Smith is a human being?" he asked Hux and the man nodded curtly.

"Of course," he said.

"So don't you think that she would be hurt and humiliated if she learned that the only reason she was receiving any attention this Valentine's Day was as the result of a bet?" he asked pointedly. Hux leaned forward, clasping his hands together.