it can't be

Chapter two

ANNIE’S POV

It was him, the guy from before… the driver, what is he doing here and why did my mom address him as sir

“you” we both said pointing at each other,

" aren't you the guy from before?" what are you doing here?” I inquired expecting an answer from him… “ are you deaf?” I added only to be slapped by my mom, when did she even get this close? I was shocked, not only was I because the strange guy was here in our store but also because mom slapped me, … He also looked shocked, he probably didn’t expect what mom did too.

“Apologize right now Annie” mom finally said gesturing towards the guy “How dare you talk to him like that” she added …. Now this is getting worse, does it mean mom slapped me because of him? Who exactly is he? I looked at my mom and she seemed to be angry and at the same time sad, what the hell is going on?
"what are you talking about mom? Why did you slap me? "I asked fighting back the tears that threatened to fall while he just stood there motionless and expressionless … mom pulled me close to herself and hugged me, “I’m sorry Annie, it’s just that you shouldn’t have said what you said to him, he’s the Boss’s son, the first son of the wright family” … mom just added to my confusion… “what do you mean mom? If he’s the son of the Famous Mr. Wright, what is he doing here and why did you address him as sir? And the boss’ son? I don’t understand mom” ….  Mom looked over at dad who had been quiet all along as if wanting back up … and just then he walked up to us and patted me on the head “the store isn’t ours Annie, it is a branch under the aesthetics group, and Ryan here was assigned to come check how well the store is functioning and also to remind us about the marr….” Mom didn’t allow him complete his statement as she shuts him up.

“we should escort Ryan out first” she said motioning to the guy who has been standing at the same spot since, he seems to be enjoying himself and my dad who seemed to have agreed with her walked up to him, muttered some things to him and led him out … I really don’t understand what just happened, at first mom addressed him as sir and later called him by his name, just what is the whole things about the stores not being ours, and what did dad intend to say when mom cuts him off ….

"but mom I thought the store was ours?” I finally asked after the guy whom they called Ryan left
"yes ,it ours but we're a branch under aesthetics group we are responsible to them" she replied .. "it still the same thing mom, we answer to them, we don’t own this place, right mom? I asked and she nodded in affirmation

I can’t believe my ears right now, the store I always thought was ours turned out not to be ours, just what else are my parents hiding from me... Dad looked over to mom as if looking for approval and she nodded. then he took my hands in his, “there’s something we have to tell you Ann, actually we ought to have told you since but we didn’t know how to”, he paused for a while and then continued “ when you were seven, you suddenly became very ill and the doctor diagnosed you of cancer, it was the most shocking news we’ve had as a parent and also the saddest, we spent all we had on your treatment and almost sold out our store when we heard the news that the Aesthetics group are taking up cosmetic stores and rebranding them as a part of their group, both I and your mother thought of it as a very good opportunity and decided to approach them, which we did. They took in our store, rebranded it and of course funded it but that still didn’t help out with your treatment. So your mom and I decided to meet them again for help concerning your treatment…. Your chemotherapy was taking a lot of money, Mrs Wright visited you at the hospital upon our request to see what we needed the money we requested to loan out for, she liked you the moment she saw you and decided to help us out although it was conditional” I did remember being sick when I was small, but I didn’t know any of this happened, mom and dad must have gone through a lot.

“what was the condition dad?” I asked …

“you’ll have to marry their son when you’re 24” he dropped …

What???? … didn’t he just say they wanted a loan from them and that Mrs. Wright liked me at first sight....