Jammin' out

An hour of mindless chat went by until Vincent finally came out of the water. He was obviously exhausted now and in need of a nap. "Ready to head home Vince?" his older brother asked, holding his arms out in an offer to carry him. "Yea I'm a bit sleepy now, but I can walk on my own." the little boy gave a thumbs up before grabbing the shovel and his bucket. He waved goodbye to the sandcastle and began walking towards town.

The sandcastle would probably be swept away by higher tides later today, but for now it stood proudly.

Sam and I followed behind his brother, we both started wiping off the remainder of sand on our clothes. His house wasn't too far from the beach. I recognized the blue paneling on the outside of the house from the other night.

Vincent had already ran inside by the time we reached the door. Sam held it open and jokingly said, "ladies first."

I rolled my eyes and laughed before stepping into the home. The atmosphere inside felt very cozy and comfortable. Sam walked passed me and motioned for me to follow him. He began towards the living room, but then made a right where there were two doors. I followed him into one of the rooms and was a bit surprised at the green carpet. It was an interesting choice, but it wasn't ugly or anything.

Sam had made his way over to his desk chair and turned it around before sitting in it. I stood near his dresser as I examined his room. There were a few cool things in here like all of the instruments. I noticed the guitar and a few memories from my high school days came to me. Back then I used to play the guitar in a little band with some other kids. The main reason I did it was for the money we got each gig.

It had been years since I played it seriously, ever since I would practice here and there.

I must have been looking at the guitar too long because Sam got out of his seat and walked over to it. He picked it up and grabbed a guitar pick off of his shelf. "Isn't this thing cool? I got it a while back and ever since I love just jammin out." He grinned happily before strumming on the strings, his other hand pressing down on the strings at the instruments neck. This resulted in a pleasant little tune.

"You're pretty good, do you play in front of crowds?" I asked as I happily watched his hands move gracefully over the instrument. "Nah not yet at least. I've been planning on making a band with Seb actually. What kind of music do you think we should play? It's hard trying to think of what to make." After he finished speaking I took a moment to think his question over and look at the other instruments in the room.

"Hm you could always try rock? Maybe even experimental rock?" I suggested with a half shrug. He nodded "Rock was something I had an eye on, I'm sure Seb will agree. Thanks." Sam smiled before sitting down on his bed, guitar in hand.

"No problem." I responded, watching him play a bit more before asking, "Can I try?" He seemed a bit shocked, but pleased at the same time and nodded. "Yea of course," he handed me the instrument and I took a moment to remember how to properly hold it.

I could tell Sam was about to explain how to hold it and play, but before he could I took the pick and started playing. At first I ran through a few simple measures of songs ingrained in my memory, like 'hot cross buns' and 'Mary had a little lamb'

Sam seemed amused at the childish songs I played. "Wow I didn't know you could play." he was a bit surprised, even though I was only playing basic songs.

"I'm a little rusty. It's been a while." I said with a small laugh before I took a deep breath to gain my confidence. I was going to attempt a way more difficult song that I still remembered.

I tapped my left foot to try and find my rhythm, before I started strumming. My fingers moved a bit stiff at first, but I started to find my groove. After messing up a few times I started playing 'Smells like teen spirit' by Nirvana. Once I played long enough to get to where there were words in the song, I started humming them.

My fingers started to hurt quickly since I wasn't used to moving them like this anymore. I eventually stopped playing and placed the instrument back into its stand. When I looked back at Sam he was gaping at me with wide eyes.

"W-what? Is there something on my face?" I asked quickly, obviously confused at his staring. "Holy shit... You're so good." His words brought heat to my cheeks.

"Haha what? No, that was just a song I remember pretty well. I used to play it a lot because it was by my favorite band and..." I rambled on until I heard a small laugh. It didn't come from Sam, but someone else. When I turned around I saw Sebastian leaning against the wall near the door. When he had come into the room I didn't know, probably when I was playing the guitar though.

"She might even be better than you Sam. Maybe she should be our guitarist." He joked with a smirk before walking over to the electric looking keyboard.

The heat in my cheeks grew when I realized I had an audience. Even though it was just one more person, I felt embarrassed. Which is strange since I used to play in front of small crowds back in high school. Nowadays I barely had any confidence to introduce myself.

Sam laughed at Sebastian's joke before getting up and walking over to him. "You remember Rose right?" he asked his friend as he put an arm over his shoulder. "Of course, we did see her at the saloon and the lake." Sebastian reminded him in a monotone voice. It was hard to read any emotion off his face. But by his posture and body language, I could tell he was antisocial and definitely not a people person.

I waved at him before sitting down at the edge of Sam's bed. Sebastian didn't wave back or greet me; he just stared at me and then turned his attention to the instrument.

"You're quite the charmer huh Seb?" Sam said sarcastically with a roll of his eyes at his friends unwillingness to greet me.

"It's fine Sam I understand the feeling of not wanting to greet people. Sometimes people just aren't worth the time." I shrugged and felt unaffected by Sebastian ignoring me.

"Hey do you want a snack Row?" Sam asked as he walked away from Sebastian and towards the door. I was a bit stunned at his use of the nickname, only Mae used it. It took him a second to realize what he said and his face flushed from embarrassment. "Sorry, I don't know why I said that." he laughed awkwardly as he opened the door. I followed him out of the room before saying, "Use the nickname... if you want." I mumbled as we walked through the living room and into the kitchen. Sam only nodded and I could have sworn I saw him grin before he turned away.