Don't Say Goodbye

Mae closed the trunk of her car after placing all of her luggage inside. I stood a few feet behind her, holding back tears. She turned to face me and I saw her eyes water. The sight of her crying made my face contort as I held back the floodgate of tears.

I had gotten used to her being here over the past week and a half. I sniffled as she opened her arms. We hugged each other tightly. Neither of us wanted to let the other go. "I'm gonna miss having you here." I whispered, if I spoke any louder my voice would have cracked. "I'm gonna miss your cute little face." She pulled away and squeezed my cheek. "Hopefully soon I'll be able to build you a house on the farmland." I smiled softly and she nodded. "I'd like that."

We both fully let go of each other and she walked over to the driver's seat and got into the car. She turned and we both looked at eachother. Neither of us wanted to say goodbye first.

"Goodb-"

"Please don't say it." I cut her off as a few tears finally rolled down my cheeks. I wiped them swiftly and she simply nodded with a small smile before driving away.

Once she was gone I slowly made my way back into the cabin. It felt so empty without her fiery spirit. Even though she had only been here a week and a half, I felt like this place wasn't the same without her. Normally I wasn't this emotional over stuff like this, but Mae held a special place in my heart. While my life was going through so many changes she stayed and kept me grounded. I owed a lot to that redhead.

To calm myself down a bit I changed into some comfortable clothes and turned on my comfort show.

I took a seat on my bed and smoothed down the blankets. Oscar caught my eye and I grabbed the stuffed frog, placing him next to me. After a few minutes of sitting in silence I heard a bit of rustling and Arson's head popped out from below the bed. I laughed weakly as he pulled himself out from under there. Once he was free he jumped on the bed and curled up on my lap. His purring while I scratched behind his ear was soothing.

We sat together like that for a while until my phone buzzed. I reached for it as I continued to pet Arson.

Dumbass <3- "You said Mae was leaving today?"

Rose- "Yea, she just left"

Dumbass <3- "Are you feeling okay?"

I could sense his concern through the text and I sighed.

Rose- "Eh, not really. I've felt worse tho."

Dumbass <3- "Wanna come over? You can bring your guitar and we can jam out together, or even skateboard :D"

His sweet response made my heart ache. I didn't deserve this kind man.

I started typing a response saying 'No' but I quickly deleted it and said ;

Rose- "Omw. Thank you."

Arson licked the side of my hand before jumping off of me to go eat his food. Once he got off I stood up and knelt beside my guitar in its stand. I placed everything into its cases and got ready to head to Sam's.

-------------------------

It took only one knock on his door before I saw his head peak out. "Oh! Hey Rose." He grinned and quickly pulled me inside. Once he saw the things I was carrying he held them for me. "I'll set this up in my room real quick. Do you want to make popcorn or something?" He asked and I nodded, "Sure."

Sam brought my things to his room while I made my way into his kitchen. To my surprise his mother was seated at the table chopping up vegetables. "Good morning- I mean evening." I stammered and she simply smiled. "Hello Rose. Will you be joining us for dinner?" She asked and I thought about it for a moment. "Well I don't want to intrude or-" Before I could reject the offer she said, "Nonsense! You're basically my daughter in law now." She laughed as she waved a hand.