#4

When did it all go wrong?

When I stopped believing that it was all right.

Was it never right?

No it was. For a few moments here and there.

Like what?

            Moments like that one summer day when he chased me on the beach. I was laughing, running as if all I had in front of me was forever. He caught up to me eventually. We fell on the beach sand, giggling like we had the best secret.
              We looked at each other, his eyes boring into mine. We laid there till the sand was cold, planning our life together while the waves touched our legs trying to pull us back to reality, watching us in despair as we believed we were falling for each other. Falling in love.

That must have been a lovely day.

It was. It really was. Until he dusted the sand out of his jeans pockets and also very nonchalantly threw out the sea shell I gave to him.

That meant a great deal to you? The shell I mean.

It did not until he told the color of the sea shell reminded him of my eyes. He told me he'd make a locket out of it and wear it everywhere.

So he was never in love with you?

Well in all honesty, neither was I.

And how are you so sure of it?

Because when he was chasing me on the beach, I was hoping he'd never catch me.

Then why are you sad it ended? Love was never there in the first place.

          Like I said, it was all about the moments. Moments that were so full of love but at the same time were no where close to love.
         Moments that made me hope for tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow with him at the same time praying today gets over somehow, but soon.

Explain please.

When we are up at night star gazing, it felt as if time had slowed its pace, laid down right next to us as we stared at the sky, watching it stare back at us. It was perfect.

Then what happened?

I started telling him about the stars, the constellations, everything I loved about the night sky. I went on and on chirping like a happy bird. When he shushed me down because he couldn't sleep.

Ouch. So when did you end it?

The same day he asked me to marry him.

Wow that's rough.

Well, there is nothing else I could do, he forgot to love me in the first place.

.

Years later I got a post card from her, smiling at a beach with the love of her life. Oh well, he did have a sea shell locket around his neck and yes, she was wearing a wedding ring. But most importantly, he looked at her as if all the stars and constellations appeared just for her.