July 25, 1900

I woke up at around 1:30 to hear Elmer muttering. But this time he was thrashing around in his bed. I quickly jumped down the ladder. There was a pillow over his face. I carefully removed the pillow and his eyes shot open wildly. He then jumped up, hitting his head on the top bunk. I placed my hand gently on his chest, pushing him back down lightly.

"Olive?" He gasped, lowering himself down on his elbows.

"Nightmare?" I asked, removing my hand. He took my hand and put it back in its place.

"Yeah." He nodded.

"What's it about?" I asked, climbing up and sitting next to him.

"It's was kinda hard to explain." The boy muttered, relaxing a bit.

"We's got all night." I shrugged.

"Can ya lay down?" He asked. I grinned and laid down beside him. He pulled the blanket over me. I reached around him to hold my teddy bear, which had stayed on the bottom bunk all this time. Honeybelle was with Race.

"Right." I hugged my bear. "What was ya dream about?"

"Well it's was really realistic." He started. "First, there's was a fire in the Lodging House."

"A fire?" I gasped.

"And almost everybody got out." He told me.

"Who didn't get out?" I asked.

"Ya didn't get out in time." Elmer draped an arm over his forehead. "Jack, Albert, and Race held me back."

"From savin' me?" I guessed.

"Uh-huh." He nodded. "Then the Delancey's came and soaked me. The boys was still not lettin' me go."

"That's terrible." I sympathized.

"It had all my worst fears." He muttered. "Fire, losing my family, and helplessness."

"Family?" A small smile grew on my face.

"Well, yeah." He looked over at me. "You's one of my best friends."

"You too." The smile grew. "You was really freakin' out."

"I was?" He looked at me, shocked.

"Yeah." I nodded. "You's also talkin' ta yourself."

"What was I sayin'?" He asked.

"I dunno," I shook my head. "I's couldn't hear any words."

"Probably for da best." Elmer looked back at the top bunk, grinning. He looked like he was getting tired again. His hand was slacked and hanging down from his head. His eyelids were drooping a bit.

"Ya tired?" I asked.

"Nah." He shook his head, yawning. His eyes closed, so I started to get up.

"Please stay," he muttered, eyes still closed.

"Okay." I moved back into how I was before. About a minute later, he seemed to be asleep. So I closed my eyes and tried to do the same.

~Elmer's POV~

I guess she thinks I'm asleep. She relaxed. And her eyes are closed. Do I always fall asleep so easy?

I guess if she didn't actually care about me then she wouldn't have really cared to some and help me out. Maybe I was wrong. She did say that I'm one of her best friends. Maybe she wasn't lying.

Harriet said that Olive's birthday is in October. I'll have to talk to her sister to find out which day. And what to get her. She got me a hat, so it's only fair.

I wonder what she thinks of the boys. She seems comfortable around them, even though she's really only around me. What if I'm her best friend? Well, she does spend some time with Jack and Crutchie. And sometimes Spec or Race.

Jack gave her a thumbs-up earlier today. Oh shoot! That was when I gave her a hug. Maybe she isn't completely comfortable with me. Nevermind, I'm probably wrong. She is sleeping next to me.

~Olive's POV~

In the morning, I almost forgot that the Bell Boys were on strike. It's a good thing I wake up before the Morning Bell. I turned over to wake up Elmer.

"It ain't the Mornin' Bell." He muttered.

"Nah." I shook my head. "But ya still gotta get up."

"Don't wanna." He turned over, hugging a pillow. Of course he was hugging a pillow. My heart almost melted.

"C'mon!" I tugged on his arm. When he didn't budge, I sat up and threw the blanket off his bed.

"It's cold!" He whined, curling into a ball, as best he could at least.

"Then ya might as well get up." I reasoned. Elmer turned over to look at me.

"Have ya met Spot Conlon?" He asked suddenly.

"No." I shook my head.

"I's gonna take ya ta meet him today." The black haired boy decided.

"Today?" I've only been to Brooklyn a few times before.

"Yup." He nodded, grinning. "We's going ta Brooklyn."