July 23, 1900.

When we got back to the Lodging House, it was well past sunset. The main room was put back into it's regular state, and all the boys were playing cards.

"Damn it!" Kid Blink shouted, slamming his fist onto the old wooden table. Everyone else was howling with laughter. Albert noticed us and beckoned us over to join. After boys moved around coins, we were all dealt cards.
The night went on for hours, everyone talking and laughing and gambling. I never once lost.

The clock read 12:02.

We were playing for a long time when I looked to my right, (Elmer was seated on my right), and there was Elmer. He was out cold. Jack was sitting across the table. We made eye contact, grinning. The boy clapped once.

"Ay, it's late!" He told the boys. "Ev'ry one should start headin' off ta bed!"

"Aw, c'mon, Jackie!" Race whined.

"Ya don't have ta, but it's betta ta get more sleep." The Newsie leader gestured at Elmer. I think when one boy falls asleep, it's like a domino effect. It's funny to see how yawns can bounced all though the boys. Romeo rubbed his eyes tiredly. Smalls rested his head on his hand. Race looked around.

"Eh, fine." The curly, blond haired boy gave in, barely stifling a yawn. Jack came over to Elmer's seat and picked him up. A few of the older boys snickered. Elmer's head lolled back his Jack's arms. I followed the two up the stairs and into the room. Jack lowers the sleeping boy onto the bottom bunk.

"Is ya gettin' anywhere with him?" The brown haired boy asked suggestively.

"We's friends." I told him.

"Nothin' more?" The boy asked in disappointment.

"Nah." I smiled. Jack shook his head with a grin.

"Well, I'd betta be goin'." He said as he walked out the door. "Goodnight!"

"Goodnight." The door closed. I looked back at Elmer, who was sound asleep and hugging a pillow. I felt a smile grow on my face as I climbed up onto the top bunk. Then I fell into sleep.

~Elmer's POV~

I blinked my eyes open, only to be met with dark. Olive was muttering to herself in her sleep. Straining to hear, I only picked up one sentence:

"Why does we use a candle instead of da lights in this room?"

I almost laughed out loud.

Of all the things she could say in her sleep, it's the lights! That's actually is a pretty good question though. I guess I'll tell her in the morning.

~Olive's POV~

I woke up with sunlight pouring in through the closed window. I quickly hopped down to change into a clean set of clothes. After I'd done that, I rolled up my dirty clothes so I could wash them later. The Morning Bell chimed a few minutes later. As soon as it did, I went to wake Elmer.

"Mornin' Bell?" The black haired boy grumbled.

"Yes." I nodded, conscious of the brand new hat in my pocket.

"I's gonna meet ya downstairs." Elmer  opened his eyes to look at me. Honeybelle was curled up in the crook of his shoulder and neck. She must've come up with us last night. I nodded as left, closing the door behind me. Most of the boys were up and moving around.

"Mornin'!" JoJo called up to me.

"Mornin' JoJo!" I responded, walking down the stairs quickly. As soon as I stepped downstairs, Elmer came down. Then, side by side, we walked outside to the gate. The headline came up in a few moments.

Snyder And Kailem: Put To Death This Evening.

"Serves them right." Jack growled, hands on the bars.

"Y'know," Oscar started as he rattled the gate open. "Snyder was a crappy guy, but I's neva met Kailem."

"Also crappy." I informed him as I passed. Elmer and I were still next to each other in order to avoid the same thing that happened on my first day. I glanced at Elmer face and saw that his bruise was fading away. We bought our papes and headed to our usual spot.