Flashback

"Bailey, get inside the closet." My blonde haired mother ordered fearfully. The lights were all off.

"What's going on?" I wailed while my sister, Harriet, tugged me into a closet. She's only older by three years.

Something crashed, and by this time, Harriet and I were huddled together in the closet. I could see that light was flooding into the room. It must've been the door that had fallen.

"We found 'em, boys." A gruff man's voice chuckled. I heard my father say something to my mother. The man stepped forward just a little, and I could see his large, stiff belly. And a knife.

"H-" Before I could say anything, Harriet had slapped her hand over my mouth firmly.

"You have no business here." My father shouted. Two other men lurched forward an did something I couldn't see. But I did hear him cry out in agony.

"Claire, run!" He yelled before going completely silent. Harriet gasped quietly.

"William!" My mother shrieked, and I saw her blonde curl bounce as she ran towards my dad. The three men grabbed her, and stabbed her. The sound of the blade jamming through her flesh was nauseating. The leader of the men stepped out of view, towards the broken door. 

"Doesn't dey got some kids?" One of the others asked, New York accent dripping through.

"Yes." The leader said menacingly. "And if they survive without parents, I'll kill them myself."

The next morning, when we were sure they were gone, Harriet and I tumbled out of the closet sorely. Our mother and father were laying in pools of blood. Mom's curly blonde hair was red from being soaked in blood all night. Dad's wavy brown hair was damp, which was clearly not  from water.
Harriet just stood there staring. So did I.
"We need to leave." She told me. "Get a few things, and let's go."
I ran to our room and grabbed my little backpack. Inside, I put a teddy bear, two books (Dot and the Kangaroo, and the Bible), my diary, and a pencil. Harriet stuffed Alice in Wonderland and an extra pair of clothes for both of us in her bag. She also took all the money in our house, $72.
"Let's go, Bailey." She took hold of my hand and led me out.