The Captured Rat

Mulai dari awal

A flash of resentment disappeared as soon as it appeared in Arius' eyes as he turned back to face the consort and his father.A fixed smile on his face,he cheerfully replied, "You should take care of yourself better too,Your Highness,"his red eyes glanced at the duke,a knowing smirk pulled on his lips, "since there are quite missing bodies these days."

Roger can feel his hair standing on his neck when the young magician slyly narrowed his eyes at him.For a split second,it seemed that his red eyes sparkled like jewels underneath the shade of the tree as the warlock look meaningfully at the duke.

He didn't move from his spot as he watched Arius' back disappeared between the Garnet Palace's walls.The youth's words kept repeating over and over again in his mind.His red eyes that filled with a knowing look as he glanced explicitly at him.

Did the warlock knew something about the assassination attempts?

***

Lily hummed a happy tune as she walked along the Ruby Palace's halls.Her bright mood did not go unnoticed by other maids.It was rare to see the head maid in a such high spirits ever since the princess' execution 20 years ago much less to see the elegant lady smiling and humming and almost skipping in her steps.

Her coworkers,Hannah and Ces did not miss the opportunity to question their superior when they had the chance.They were one of the closest maids of the late Princess Athanasia before her passing and it would not be bizarre for the three of them to bond quickly for their mutual affections for the blonde princess.Even though they are not as close as Lilian to Athanasia,they were the ones who wish for her to be the most happy during her life.

Ever the noisy one,Hannah quickly cornered the brunette when other maids leave them to continue their other chores. "Headmaid Lilian sure look delighted these days.Is there any good news?Did the York family achieved anything?Or you finally found a man you like?Are you getting married?It's definitely because of a man,isn't it?"inquired the freckled maid excitedly in one breath.

Lily,who was caught off guard by Hannah's explosive questions,can't find her voice to answer the maid.She was just about to check on a room when she and Ces suddenly ambush her at the end of the hallway.Thank goodness that other maids are nowhere in the area at the moment or a senseless gossip might fly around the palace.

Ces,who noticed that the older brunette was flustered by her friend's unending inquiries,sighed at Hannah's eagerness.Pulling back the freckled maid from Lilian by a few steps to allow some space,the headmaid glanced gratefully at her.The violet-haired maid simply nodded at her superior.

"Please pardon her actions,Headmaid Lilian.We were just curious to see you in a very good mood ever since...you know.It might be rude of us to ask you such personal questions but believe us that we are pleased to see you in a high spirits again,"stated Ces as she gazed softly at the blue-eyed maid.

The was never a day Lilian would smile after the day of Princess Athanasia's execution.Her once bright blue eyes seemed to be forever hollow and filled with sorrow.She would lingered almost aimlessly infront of the late princess' bedroom as if expecting for a certain blonde girl to exit from the door and greeted them good morning.The first few months after the princess' death,she and Hannah would listen to Lilian's sobs when they passed her room at night.The brunette used to allow them into her room to discuss about the princess when she was alive but after the girl's passing Lilian kept her room locked from everyone else.As if she was keeping a secret hidden from them.

And they know that Lilian never missed a day to curse the Emperor every night for killing her surrogate daughter.

Lilian's gaze softened as she look at her close coworkers who she already see as her closest friends.They are just being excited to see her smile again.