Chapter:: Two

Dear Adonis,

After going home that night, I panicked. I thought, what the hell did I do, telling you? What did I think would happen? What if you turned out to be an asshole and made fun of me? At least I would have known who I was dealing with. That next day was school. I won’t write about school very much, this is probably the only time I will. Only because of this one thing you did for me, and I think you know exactly what I’m talking about.

I was in fifth period Bio trying to take a test. I got distracted because my right hand started twitching and I was trying not to make a big deal about it. I was silently contemplating if I should ask to go to the nurse or suck it up and finish my test. I hear the door creak open but I don’t look up like I would normally. I was watching the skinny bones in my hand move up and down with the twitching, quicker than I could surely move them. I heard mumbling, deep voices trying to whisper but failing when I could hear the highs and lows of it.

“Ariel Smiley?” I look over to the teacher, Mr. Lang. He waves me forward and I try to keep from smiling when I see you right next to him.

“Yes, sir?” my test is on my desk, waiting for me. I stuff my right hand in my thin jacket pocket and squeeze my hand into a fist, hoping it will stop.

“Apparently you have to leave? Your dad is out in the parking lot, and you’re brother” he looks over to you; he probably knew you were lying but didn’t care. We don’t look anything alike, “came up here to get you. How nice of him. You can make up your test tomorrow.” We leave quickly, not wanting him to come to his senses and force me back into my seat. Once I hear the click of the door, I laugh.

“That was too easy. What made you decide to spring me from hell?” School wasn’t all that bad, but since I met you the days seemed to have stretched from six hours to an over baring twelve. You smile, making your dimple show. I grab your hand, suddenly needing to be closer to you. Have you ever felt that with somebody? Wanting to be with them, so close you can feel their heart almost match up to yours? I hope you felt that with me. Because that’s what happens to me.

“Do I have to have a reason? I was bored, I can’t hang out with my mother all day.” I agree with you, and I don’t even care if we just go to a park and sit down. At least I’m out of school and with you. I don’t say anything as we walk down a clean hall to the side door. They have cameras around here, I have no idea how he got in here without people freaking out. But once we get off campus, hands still laced together, I finally breathe.

“Did you think we were going to get caught? I’m offended.” You hold your right hand over your heart, and smiling at me in the cutest way. My fingers are still twitching but it’s like you don’t notice. I’m sure you did, but just didn’t want to embarrass me and say something. Right? It’d be easier if I could just slap my hand and it would stop, but sadly it doesn’t work like that.

“I didn’t doubt you for a second.” I tell you as I pull you to a stop as we are about to cross a road, and I kiss you. You’re probably surprised, because it takes you a second before you pull me closer and act like I’m about to walk away. I couldn’t imagine me walking away. Or you, for that matter. And I hope I’m right to think that you want me around as much as I want you around.  

“I’m thoroughly convinced now.” You tell me with a dazed look in your eyes and a goofy smile. I probably have a similar look on my face. I nod and we cross the street, coming around to a park where there was barely anybody. I saw a lady with a stroller and a guy with his dog. We sit by this tree and just lay down, right next to each other. The sun is out and there’s a breeze, and I wonder if I’d be able to fall asleep. Just peaceful, right next to you. Not wondering when I’ll start to forget you and have unmanageable mood swings.

“Wouldn’t it be totally romantic if I quoted Shakespeare right now?” You say, your voice adds to the peaceful moment. Not ruining it, but adding to make it even sweeter.

I laugh at you, because honestly, who quotes Shakespeare? “I’d honestly be more impressed if you quoted Poe.”

Your quote for a few moments. Probably trying to channel a poem of his. “Ah, I give up. Maybe next time.” You roll over on your side and look down on me. You look a lot older than the eighteen you claim to be. I believe you, of course.

“Yeah, why don’t you work on that.” I can’t stop laughing. You, quoting Poe? Or anything, really. I get how some girls think that’s so attractive. But I don’t agree. Anyone can memorize a sentence or two from a well known poem or story. But real talents is coming up with something great enough to be quoted from.

“What’s so funny?” you don’t start laughing with me, you look almost concerned. I tell you this, and you agree.

“Well, now I know the secret to your heart.” You say with a playful shine in your eyes. I could just stare at you all day. And that sounds creepy, but I mean it in the most non creepy way.

I roll my eyes and try to hide the blush that covers my face. “Yeah, yeah.” I tell you, still trying to play it off like my heart hasn’t sped up since we’ve been laying here. You stay quiet and I stay quiet and I don’t like it. Things aren’t so nervous making when you are talking, so I know what to expect. I look over to you and you’re staring at me, with this look in your eyes that lets me know you are up to no good. You roll over on top of me and I pretend that you’re crushing me, when in reality you’re the lightest eighteen year old to ever roll on me. Also the first, but still. We still don’t say anything as you lean into me and we start kissing. It’s like seeing into the future and recreating the past, and makes my stomach feel all warm inside. Like the sun is shining just to keep me warm. I wish I didn’t end up falling for you so quick. It’s not like I’m going to say I love you anytime soon, but still. I guess if I believed in soul mates then I could say that’s what we are. But I don’t really believe in soul mates so I’ll have to come up with something else.

I pull away from you and gasp. “You’re crushing me.” I lighten the mood. Not that it’s too serious or sad, but I need to break the wave of lust I’m getting so I break it with a joke. You look like I woke you up from a nap as you roll off of me.

“I think I’ll have to pull you out of school more often.” You tell me, and I completely agree. 

                                                                                                                                                                 Love, Ariel