Chapter:: Eight

Dear Adonis

As the weeks moved on, it also equaled more doctor visits which ended in me getting more medication for my symptoms. The more this happened, the further my father dived into his job. He didn’t use to cut out early every day or anything. He did the minimum, saying that he had to get home and take care of his daughter. But lately, he’s been avoiding me. It’s probably because I’m getting sicker, and his memories are coming up.

I hate being the reason he has bags under his eyes, coming home late enough to whether I’m sleeping in my own bed or he guesses that I’m at your house. It makes me upset. I don’t know if I’m more sad or more mad, because I’d run away if I could to. These days I’ve been angrier than ever. But you’re still with me, being as sweet as ever.

It’s a random Tuesday, and I’m sitting at home. I’m about to go over to your house, I’m sitting in front of a window watching the sky darken. Thinking hard and wondering why my dad is freaking out. He’s been through this before. And he couldn’t have been foolish enough to think that it definitely wouldn’t go on to me. That part made me mad, for him to think I would be immune. At seven o’clock I decide that I shouldn’t waste any more of my time waiting for my father who wouldn’t show up until he believed me tucked in.

I walk over to your house, not minding that its dark outside. Your mom still doesn’t know about me spending the night. Tonight, like any night I come over, I come in through the front door and you tell her I’m leaving after a few hours. In reality, I’ll be in your room waiting for you to come back, and I’ll sneak out the window early in the morning.

You answer the door after I quickly slam my fist to it. “Ariel,” you breathe my name like a sigh of relief and I smile at you. “Come on in, you can join us for dinner.” You grab my hand and pull me through the threshold, and I can hear your parents in there talking. Your dad isn’t usually around when I come over, he’s either in bed or not home yet. He stands up, wiping his mouth as we walk into your dining room.

“Ariel, nice to finally meet you. I’m Dan; Adonis has told me so much about you.” Your father smiles as we shake hands; before we both sit down. I realize that I don’t have a plate at my spot, so I don’t bother getting up to get one since my dinner was a half bag of cheetos.

“So, Mrs. Johnson, how is the shop going?” I ask her as I lean back in my chair, cross my ankles, and watch you eat your green beans. The dining room has this fancy little light set up above the table; a cloth covering what I’m sure is a wood table.

“Oh, it’s great. Business is still stable, how’s your father?” I watched your mother stumble for a minute for something to ask about in return. I saw ‘school’ on the tip of her lips, before she morphed it into father. Acting like I’m thinking about it for a minute, I uncross my feet and bump my right foot on your left boot covered foot.

“I wouldn’t know, I don’t see him very often anymore. His job is keeping him pretty busy these days.” I state blandly, like I wouldn’t expect anything more from him; and I guess I don’t anymore. For a moment, I think a little harder on the subject and conclude that it feels like he’s left me in the dust to be ashamed of myself because of something that’s heredity. It was unfair and wrong, making me scrunch up my face in a scowl.

“I’m sorry, Ariel. You know you’re welcome here anytime.” Your mom looks up and smiles at me, genuine. Your father nods quickly as he finishes his food.

“I know.” I admit. “It just feels like I’m over here a lot, and I don’t want to be a bother.” I can’t help but blush at this, as your mother looks over at me as if I’m being crazy.

“Of course not! You and Adonis are cute, you’re welcome over even if you get to be a tiresome.” She winks at me before putting her fork down, reaching to Dan’s plate next to hers and grabbing it. We laugh at your mother’s outburst. I watch you as your laughter dies down, a dwindling smile on your face. There’s a look in your eyes that I’m falling for, and I stand up quite suddenly.

“I’m just going to wait upstairs, Adonis.” I tell you as I pretty much run walk out of the room. Don’t ask me what it is, but it’s like I was seeing you the way you were the first day we met. I hear a chair scoot behind me and I look back to see you watching me. You pick up your plate, bringing it to the sink before run walking after me.

“Keep your door open!” your mom shouts, and we just laugh. You chase me up the stairs, and there’s a zapping energy between us. Whether I just tuned in or we’ve just haven’t been on the right frequency, it’s new.

After I plop down on your bed, you following right behind; we start making out. And at first I’m a little cautious, because your mother said to keep the door open and it’s not; and she’s not an idiot either. Sometimes I wish she was like my dad, understanding that I’m making memories that I won’t remember. But then again, that’d be using my disease; and I hate it too much to do that. So instead, I flip off a part of my brain and get into kissing you.

I notice the perfect places your hands are holding me, the back of my neck and the other hand is somewhere on my lower back. Perfect support except that it doesn’t matter, because I’m laying on the bed and you’re on top of me. Suddenly this feels more real than anything. And it sounds like a typical horny teen thing of me to say. We’ve have sweet moments, serious moments, the ones where I’m crying and you don’t know what to do. We’ve had those too often. And now it’s our time to have the moment where we’re both panting in lust and love and ready to never leave each other. If somebody could read my mind, I’d assume that they would call me an idiot for saying this because I’m a teenager.

Things are still heavy, and we’re so close that heat just keeps bouncing off between us. We take a break, you rolling off of me with this stupid grin on your face. I guess I should add cute in there, because it is a cute stupid grin. Looking over at you, I almost gasp because I realize your shirt is off and I don’t remember taking it off.

“Where’d your shirt go?” I seriously ask you, not even thinking how stupid that sounds. Your deep laugh is right next to me as I lean up a little to look for it, falling back and realizing I don’t really care. “I mean, not that I’m not enjoying the view. . . “

I see you blush a little and pinch your cheek jokingly. Your face gets that serious look again, and we both lean in and start where we left off.

~

When I wake up in the morning, wrapped around you; I freak out. Your door is still closed, and there’s no sign that anything moved. If your mother found us, wouldn’t she have told me to go home? I wrap your sheet around me tighter, uncomfortable with the thought of your mother finding me naked, especially next to you. I almost shake you awake when I see that you look so peaceful. A trace of a smile on your face, and your hair is in your eyes. I swipe your bangs away before falling back to sleep next to you.

Love, Ariel