Letters to Adonis

Dear Adonis,

While I still remember, I thought I would write you what it was like for me the first day we met.

It was Tuesday and I had a not so unusual cupcake craving. Lucky for me and my appetite, I knew just where to go. It was after school, my friends and I would always walk by this cute little cupcake place. I couldn’t remember the name of it, but I remember the scents coming out of it. I didn’t even wait to change out of my uniform, as you probably didn’t notice, because I was just so hungry. As you know, when I want something; I’m dead set on it. When I got to the brown brick building, I licked my lips. Figuring I was in the right place when the window said “Dream Cakes.” It was cheesy, but you know exactly what I mean. Your guys’ cupcakes are heavenly.

 “Hello, welcome to Dream Cakes. What can I get you?” A woman who, now that I think about it, looks like you. But what I noticed first was that she looked to be in her late thirties, a big grin on her face. She had laugh lines and I could see a slight dimple on her left cheek, I think that’s one of the cooler things you guy’s share; your dimples. I instantly smiled back, finding her happiness infectious.

“I need one of the best cupcakes you have.” The smile is still on my face, I couldn’t wipe it off.

“You got it!” she steps back from the counter, going into a backroom that I didn’t notice before. She doesn’t go in very far, just too where a dark haired boy stood. Do you think I would have been able to guess that you made my life so much better? I hear whispering and I try to make it out, I make it look like I’m glancing at the cupcakes so I can listen better, but I don’t think I fooled you guys. I think you both knew I could hear. Either that or your mother is a horrible whisperer.

“She’s so cute! Go talk to her.” I hear her voice excitedly whisper.

“Stop it, mom. You’re so embarrassing.” The guy hisses back at her. I can’t help laughing, but then turn it into a cough.

“Just go!” I hear somebody stumbling forward and I look up, and see the face of the dark haired guy. He had his brown hair combed forward to cover his forehead, his eyes were such a bright blue that I couldn’t help but stare into them. Did you ever thank your mom for pushing you out of the storage room?

“Hel-lo.” You draw out, trying for a friendly smile that shows a dimple, which I didn’t notice until later was on the left side; just like your mothers.

“Hey, can I have a cupcake please?”

“Sure thing.” You walk over to a counter where the bags are and you pull it open. “Um, what cupcake?” I noticed that there were maybe a dozen rows of different kinds of cupcakes.

“I can’t decide, whatever you recommend.” You get a look on your face of total concentration, showing me how serious you are about it. I try not to giggle, and find it incredibly easy as your mom comes back.  

“This is Adonis.” She waves her hand at you. You look up and wave, but then stop when you realize that people don’t really wave anymore. I see pink creep up your cheeks, which makes me smile.

“I’m Ariel.” I fill in the silent question.

“What a pretty name! Isn’t that a pretty name, Adonis?” Your mother chirps. She has a big smile on her face, still.

You give her a look that would scare me if your blue eyes were fixed on me. “Of course, lovely name.”

She rolls her eyes at me and shrugs. “He isn’t very friendly.” 

“I’m plenty friendly!” You protest. Your mother laughs and shakes her head.

“Just hurry up and give her the cupcake, I’m sure she has places to be.” She winks at me.