Chapter:: Fourteen

Dear Adonis,

The next night, we decide to go on a date to Red Robin. You probably remember this certain time going, because something embarrassing happened. You’ll probably brush it off or something, but you don’t know how it is to have your body plot against you every step of the goddamn way. It’s torture.

You show up to my house after going to yours to change. We’ve spent every day my dad has been gone rolled up in my sheets. It’s been nice, and sometimes we were just sleeping. It was beyond peaceful.

You had your hair combed but I can tell you messed it up nervously before coming back over, what were you so nervous about? You have dark jeans on with a short sleeve plaid shirt that’s tucked in.

“Oh man, you’re cute. Are you sure you’re for me?” I ask you as I step out of my house and wrap my arms around you. You chuckle and wrap your strong arms around me.

“I’m sure. Are you sure I’m the cute one here?” you make a big show of checking me out. I straightened my strawberry blonde hair and put a little eyeliner and mascara on. I also went shopping a few weeks ago and forgot I bought an orange sundress with white swirls and flowers on it.

“I’m sure, let’s go.” I tell you as I turn back around to close the door, patting my dress pocket to make sure I have the key. “I put my key in my right pocket, so don’t forget.” I’d been forgetting more and more lately. How do you put up with it? It pisses me off some days; I can’t even imagine how you can deal with it.

You open the car door for me before running around to the driver’s side. I smile at you and after you back out of my driveway and work on getting out of the neighborhood, I put my hand on your thigh and rest it there. The radio is on, and I smile as you put your hand over mine. The trip is short and my stomach growls at the sight of the red lighted building.

“You ready for some endless fries?” you squeeze my hand and get out of the car to open my door for me. I roll my eyes and thank you, and also tell you its unnecessary, because you already have me.

When we walk through the doors with the coolest handles ever, there are at least seven people in front of us. They look at us as the door closes, and I look to you. It’ll be a while before we can be seated. But luckily, there are two chairs empty right next to the doors. I sit down and pat the seat next to me, and you sink into it.

We make funny faces at each other until about thirty minutes later we notice the waiting area is empty except for us, and a server comes up to us. “Sorry for the wait, table for two?” she asks us with a tired smile on her face, I nod and stand up to follow her.

When I get up I find that I can’t move either one of my feet to go forward. You put your arm around my shoulder and start walking but luckily you don’t jerk me because I pull you back. “Adonis, I can’t walk.”

You look back at me with the most confused expression. I would have laughed if I weren’t so freaked out. “But you’re standing? How does that work?” you come back next to me anyways and try to lead me forward. I unfreeze and start walking, and luckily if the server noticed anything she didn’t say it.

She leads us to a table that seems to be right in the middle. “I’ll get started on your drinks if you want,” she says as she lays menus down in front of us.

“Coke, for both of us.” You tell her with a smile on your face. I put my hands on my cheeks and it’s like the fact that I’m aware of my blushing makes me blush even more. “What’s wrong?” you put your hands on my forearms and I smile at the warmth.

“That was just really embarrassing. I hope she didn’t notice.” I take my hands off my cheeks so I can fan my face. I glance over at you and notice this weird smile on your face. “What? You think it’s charming that I need your help to use my own two feet?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say charming.” You respond as she comes over with the drinks.

“Two cokes, do you guys know what you want?” she takes her pad of paper out and a pen before looking up at us casually. I glance down at my menu.

“Can I just get fries? With a side of ranch, please?” I ask her while passing her the menu.

“I just want a burger,” you tell her while passing her your menu. She walks away after she writes down the order, saying she’ll bring it back as soon as it’s done. I look at you funny, not meaning to but I can tell by the smirk on your face. “What? We can split the burger and fries.”

I smile, because that sounded pretty perfect to me.

Love, Ariel